Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,556   Online: 995

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

stuck lens flange...

Hi all,

So I nabbed an Ilex lens off of ebay for $9. That's cool.

The flange is there, and it's screwed on _very_ askew. That's not so cool.

Moderate force with pliers has done nothing. I'm thinking of putting it in a ziplock bag and into the fridge to see if the cold can loose it up. Any other ideas on how I might get this thing off?

allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How about a little 3 in 1 oil? It works for me when I have a stuck filter - just be careful, you only need one drop.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Hi all,

So I nabbed an Ilex lens off of ebay for $9. That's cool.

The flange is there, and it's screwed on _very_ askew. That's not so cool.

Moderate force with pliers has done nothing. I'm thinking of putting it in a ziplock bag and into the fridge to see if the cold can loose it up. Any other ideas on how I might get this thing off?

allan
    I don’t think cold will do. That would probably shrink the ring more than the base making it even tighter. Heat might work with care. The problem with regular tools is that they deform the ring when applied. There are filter wrenches available at reasonable cost that may help. See S.K. Grimes for help.

If all else fails, the ring can be cut off. I have used a Dremel Mototool with a cut-off disk to slice enough of the ring to enable it to be broken with a blade (screwdriver, chisel, etc.) It is more important to preserve the threads of the lens than those on the ring (which are probably damaged already).
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with DR BOB... In theory heat will work, but the chance of damaging the lens is too great. Cut partway through the ring with a dremel, or even a small file, and twist a screwdriver in the slot to break it.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought heat made items expand...making it a tighter fit?

I don't mind losing the flange - the one on my existing lensboard, believe it or not, fits already. I'll see what I can do with a bit of lubricant, then try to just cut it off. Hopefully it'll work.

For $9 it's worth trying whatever I can. the shutter is even accurate, too.

allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Throw on some rubber gloves and you'll get amazing kung fu grip.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin