Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,129   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would seem that we all have very different opinions on brightness. I suspect that the cause is our differing ground glasses, rather than our eyes being that different. I have only used my 90f8 on my Ebony, which has a bright GG. I can imagine that using it on the coarse and dingy GGs on some cameras might be a very different experience. I certainly had not trouble focussing at all. It was very obvious when focus was attained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had no trouble focusing the 90mm f/8 SA from dawn 'til dusk, including some shots in deep forests and at some pretty long bellows extensions. This is on a camera with a SatinSnow GG...I'd replaced the original GG with the SatinSnow before I got the f/8 lens. I use an old linen tester for a loupe, and haven't run into any trouble focusing at all. I've never tried to focus after dark with the lens, but I can see where that might be problematic.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Until you try a fast 90, you don't know what you're missing, regardless of the fresnel... (but currently I am using a 6.8 because of $ and size concerns).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Is the 6.8 a marked imprvement over the 8, or do you need to go to 4.5 to see a real difference. Also, I'm planning on getting a Sinar F1, which usually come with fresnels. Will that make a difference, and can such a gg be exchanged with a satinsnow? Thanks.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    ...the coarse and dingy GGs on some cameras ...
    That's a fair description of the original GG on a Linhof Technika III. I still had no real difficulties framing and focussing with a 90/8 Super Angulon. The 121/8 was worse, but only because the aperture on mine only opens up to f:10.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to use a 90mm Grandagon 4.5 when I shot 4x5, then I sold it and started using a f8 lens; this was with an Arca-Swiss F-line so the ground glass was a very good one, and I certainly prefered shooting with the 4.5; most of the time I didn't need the dark cloth, indoors or out. Personally I really liked that.

I found the f8 was workable in a dark interior (but with a dark cloth), but if you have the money I think you should get the 5.6 or 4.5. (or even 6.8) Unfortunately the 4.5's are pricey, mine cost about $700, but I loved it and I knew I wouldn't need to every upgrade to a better 90mm as the only difference then would be the green stripe they added to newer grandagons. That green stripe sure make the lens look nice though... but it would seem to me it would look kind of funny on any wood camera...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The other thing that you need to think about is how you are going to use the lens. One thing I don't think you have considered is how big an image circle are you going to need; that depends upon what use you are planning for it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Image circle

Robert, I shoot mostly landscape so don't need huge amounts of coverage.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim
    Robert, I shoot mostly landscape so don't need huge amounts of coverage.
    In that case, I probably would go for the 6.8 lens, or spring for the 80mm F4.5. I have some beautifully vigenetted images I took with my 90mm F8 in New Zealand a few years ago - not an experience I would like to repeat (since I will be there again in October).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have and use a 90F8 SA. I have not found it problematic to focus...nor have I run out of coverage on 4X5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin