Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,561   Online: 1103

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ebony "viewing" bellows

Anyone use the ebony bellows focusing shades, with or without the magnifier? Any thoughts? Does this replace a dark cloth for you?

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/ebony.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.gif   2.gif  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought its purpose was to lighten your heavy wallet?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    After Frank's response, I'm a bit embarrassed to answer this question :-)

I've got the RW version without the magnifier, and I really like it. It's great for quickly composing with the lens wide open (i.e. when the image on the glass is quite bright). I've also found that it makes using a dark cloth easier because I can wrap the dark cloth around the bellows and get a near perfect light seal (something that always troubles me when the cloth is wrapped around the camera).

I wouldn't say that I can't live without it, but I have found space in my camera bag for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently sold my "without" viewer. It works OK, but when I am in a hurry, I generally find no problem using my hands to shade the GG. Ultimately, it's not a complete substitute for a good dark cloth. I either use a darkcloth (BTZS hood - which I'd recommend) or nothing. Contrary to some other user reports, I find the Ebony fresnel more than adequate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments so far. I have a BTZS cloth too, and it does fine. Sometimes I almost feel it is overkill, as I have some pretty fast lenses.

I was thinking it might be nice to mitigate the geek factor of being under the cloth, at least in certain circumstances. Usually, I don't much care.

Looking at the photos, it appears a loupe might be a bit difficult to use with the open bellows, but maybe not.

I have to say, the version with the magnifier seems really appealing- you'd have a very dark area around the ground glass, plus a magnifier which looks like it can be "aimed" around. I'd love to hear from someone who has tried one.

I have a pretty nice Maxwell screen, which seems to be much superior to the Ebony version it came with, which was really not bad. Bill is a family friend, so I was able to trade some computer services for the glass- I think I got a good deal!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In my opinion, NOTHING, can beat a good dark cloth!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I carried a Dark cloth as back up when I used the viewer on my SV.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ebony viewing bellows`

I got one from White in the UK-they make one quite like the Ebony and it is cheaper. Last time I looked they had a used one.

I don't use it much, since I agree with the darkcloth crowd. If you are REALLY concerned with focusing, the bellows help if you are using much in the way of movements.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin