Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 938

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They actually used to make retouching tables that vibrated the negative slightly so that the retoucher could hold the brush (or blade!) in place and make a very fine fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    They actually used to make retouching tables that vibrated the negative slightly so that the retoucher could hold the brush (or blade!) in place and make a very fine fix.
    Yes..and they're available on ebay for not very much considering...I've already been sorely tempted. Not to get into a d vs a rant, but you can't imagine the relief I've actually felt realizing that it's all been done before. We've just not been aware (or, more accutately, I've not been aware.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    We have one of these beasts at our school but no one has used it in many years, from what I know. I was told that it was specifically for using a blade, and I couldn't imagine it being of any use. I can see if you used a brush how it could be useful. Unfortunately, it does not have the capacity to magnify, so you are still challenged in trying to see what you are doing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Remember this -

You will screw up the first few times.

After 30 years of doing it, you will STILL screw up once in a while.

Hell, I have "Darkslide?" on a piece of paper hanging from my lights when I work....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an Adams Retouching Machine. It can be used with blades, pencil, and dyes. With dyes, you would usually leave the vibrator off. With blades and pencil, you can adjust the speed of vibration so the pencil blends smoothly.

Etching is tough. It will be a while before I think I'll feel proficient at it.

Pencil on a neg to be contact printed is an excellent technique. It really blends nicely. Dyes are better for smaller formats.

I've also managed to reinvent Kodak Abrasive Reducer. Hot spot on the neg? Sand it down! Crush brown tripoli abrasive and add some fine mineral oil until it's a thick paste. For larger areas apply with a Q-tip. For smaller areas, cut the stick on a Q-tip at an angle and use the stick as a stylus to rub down areas of excessive density.

Do all abrasive and knife work before pencil or dye work, so if you take off too much, you can pencil it back in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David did not mention which side of the negative to retouch, this is extremely important. Very little should be done on the emulsion side! Why you might ask? Think about it a bit then you will understand!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin