Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,640   Online: 721

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for it. You'll love it. And you have a great time with the 22" calibrated monitor. And calibrating it every week isn't too much of a problem.

Have a great time with the your new dual processor mainframe. The upgrade on all your software is about the same as the price of the AF-S 80-200. Except for Photoshop.

The printer, and inks, and all the paper. Well, it's less than a car, but remember it's no different from having that E-6 line in the basement- you have to run it everyday.

And the whole archival issue is overblown. Those engineers that have been screaming about the CD / DVD volatility are the same ones who argue about global warming, fossil fuel, and frankenfood.

And you'll love getting up and going to the gym every morning to offset the time you spend sitting on your butt trying to sort out mask layers and the history brush.

Oh. Find a good chiropractor while you're at it.

AND the best part will watching those huge prints you'll make fade away like a hershey bar on a hot day, because you'll forget how low Wilhelm's 80 lux illumination really is.

How much do you want for the Linhof ?

don

"This suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    right on, don !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dollars
    Invested
    Gathering
    Illusions
    To
    Artistic
    License

D2X == Digital to X-digital (as in was, former, bitheaven)
    Kodak leads people from digital to film, where there is none.
    What a company!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    My name is Frank and I'm a digiholic.

I am going to try a Nikon D2X this afternoon. With a zoom lens. I know this is depraved, but I keep getting tempted. I like my little D70 but now I want a bigger "high".

I am going to compare my 4x5 scans from my lowly flatbed to a raw 12mp file. I know I could spend $75 getting Tango scans that would be better, but I know myself too well, and that I'm too cheap to drum scan everything. So I'm kind of thinking that when it comes to making an 11x14 print, the 4x5 flatbed scans (as good as they are, I'm not a total idiot) and the D2X are going to be pretty competitive.

I also know that shooting a 4x5 with an Aero-Ektar handheld is a great way to spend a lot of money on out of focus film.

I may stash my Technika and a few lenses out back just in case, but I kind of like the idea of "getting the shot" no matter what the conditions, which is what a D2X with fast lenses and high ASA can promise.

Heck, I may even swap my old Dynalites for i-TTL battery powered shoe mount flashes on stand adaptors...

I know talking digi-trash is a no-no but I need some counselling.
    Prank, if you run true to form, in the fullness of time, i.e., real soon now, you'll reveal that you've had one for a while and are ready to offer it for sale on eBay. Just post your listing on eBay and be done with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    My name is Frank and I'm a digiholic.

I am going to try a Nikon D2X this afternoon. With a zoom lens. I know this is depraved, but I keep getting tempted. I like my little D70 but now I want a bigger "high".

I am going to compare my 4x5 scans from my lowly flatbed to a raw 12mp file. I know I could spend $75 getting Tango scans that would be better, but I know myself too well, and that I'm too cheap to drum scan everything. So I'm kind of thinking that when it comes to making an 11x14 print, the 4x5 flatbed scans (as good as they are, I'm not a total idiot) and the D2X are going to be pretty competitive.

I also know that shooting a 4x5 with an Aero-Ektar handheld is a great way to spend a lot of money on out of focus film.

I may stash my Technika and a few lenses out back just in case, but I kind of like the idea of "getting the shot" no matter what the conditions, which is what a D2X with fast lenses and high ASA can promise.

Heck, I may even swap my old Dynalites for i-TTL battery powered shoe mount flashes on stand adaptors...

I know talking digi-trash is a no-no but I need some counselling.
    Why not buy a Leica MP with a couple of lenses instead? That way you won't have to make any more hard decisions about what to buy for a few months.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why should you not? You should! Because then you can be this guy and become a self-styled master photographer!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought this thread would be about an Omega enlarger....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't save myself...

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Why should you not? You should! Because then you can be this guy and become a self-styled master photographer!
    I sure wouldn't put a picture of a dead cow on the front page of my website and call it "fine art".
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Man, we are harsh!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin