Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,909   Online: 927

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mike, the problem is that I don't live in the USA so most of the US sellers won't accept to do business with me... The Canham looks OK and it might be sold at an interesting price, too... Too bad for me...

Emile, I would love to buy my Ebony from you (if, finally I decide for the $$$$$$$$ solution), but we'll have problems with the greek customs (who'll want to tax it)... except if you can send it to me from a European spot. But I guess you're not situated inside EU territory...

That leaves only Ole, who might want to consider selling me HIS Gandolfi (hahaha)... Maybe he will, if I promise him to let him meet my beautiful mediteranean-beauty sister... For a yellow-haired Viking, this might be very tempting... The problem is that I don't have a sister, but if Ole agrees I can arrange to find one...

I agree that the Gandolfi traditional is a BEAUTIFUL camera. If I get one, I'll have to find a place in the living room to put it so I will be able to admire its beauty every day. Then I won't use it to shoot pictures, being afraid that I might scratch it. This is maybe not such a good idea... Are Gandolfis made in Britain ? Are they so much cheaper than Ebonys ? I saw the price list, but it didn't mention the currency (there were only some numbers). If it means US$, then they're cheap. If, however, it means GBP, then they're not...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    I've seen these beauties several times on Ebay - for next to nothing (go figure)
    Hey, if you see another one, please let me know. Especially if it's a EU based seller...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    ... But I guess you're not situated inside EU territory...

That leaves only Ole, who might want to consider selling me HIS Gandolfi (hahaha)... Maybe he will, if I promise him to let him meet my beautiful mediteranean-beauty sister... For a yellow-haired Viking, this might be very tempting... The problem is that I don't have a sister, but if Ole agrees I can arrange to find one...
    Mediterranean beauties excepted, the problem is still not solved. I'm not inside EU either!

... Are Gandolfis made in Britain ? Are they so much cheaper than Ebonys ? I saw the price list, but it didn't mention the currency (there were only some numbers). If it means US$, then they're cheap. If, however, it means GBP, then they're not...
    They're made in Britain, yes. And the currency on the website is GBP, so they're not exactly the cheapest cameras.
    But they're not all too beautiful to use, my 5x7" is a second-hand former government model: http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Gandolfi/Gandolfi.html
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    I
    I have seen and had a quick familiarisation with a Shen Hao 8x10 with a 300mm lens. This was a nice camera at a fraction of the price of an Ebony; where the large bright GG was quite seductive. I have no need or much desire to change to the bigger format; although I can see why many do keep moving to ever bigger formats.
    I have not seen the 8X10 Shen-Hao but I have a 5X7 model. Having seen an Ebony SV 5X7 I will admit that the Shen-Hao is not an Ebony, though the design seems to be more closely based on it than on any other camera I have seen. The Shen-Hao is, however, a very beautiful and well-made camera in its own right. I would roughly calculate that the Shen-Hao has has about 99% of the features (movements, bellows draw, etc.) of an Ebony, 95% of the quality of construction, but is available at about 1/5 the cost ($1088 for Shen-Hao versus $4900 for the least expensive version of the Ebony SV 57). The Shen-Hao is slighly heaveir than the Ebony, but both are very sturdy and rigid. In fact they are the most stury and rigid of all folding field cameas I have seen, and this is true with the front and rear extensions racked out all the way. Both are far superior to Deardorff in this respect.

Sorry, I know this thread was Ebony versus Gandolfi, but since a comparison was made to Shen-Hao I am just adding my two cents worth.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 07-29-2005 at 09:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Sandy on the sense of a Shen Hao. Once you move above the base 5x4 models, Ebony prices get crazy. I would have loved one for 5x7, but got a walker XL5x7 at a fraction of the price. It is also incredible in its own right, esp as I realise there is not much long lens photography in the UK. From what I have heard of the Shen Haos (seriously considered the 5x7 Shen) there is a mighty fine argument for one in 10x8 vs the pricey Ebony. One nice things about the Shen Haows and Ebonies is that you rearely if ever hear of anything being under-engineerd or lacking in robustness. I know the Ebonies will last more than one lifetime and susepct the Shen Haos would too. You don't hear of weak locking mechanisms on rear stds like some Canham models.

The Shen is Soooo cheap for what you get. You could kit it out with (roughly) a used 150/165, a used 210/240 G claron and a used 305 G claron along with 10 x DDS and a super trekker ....and a Berleback tripod before you hit the cost of an Ebony.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Both the Gandolfi and the Ebony are expensive. There are cheaper solutions, but are they any good ?.
    I wasn't trying to hijack the thread away from the two particular options, it seemed to make sense to include a mention of the Shen Hao which probably would fit the bill as Sandy and Tom have suggested.

A long thread here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/13338-ebony-vs-shen-hao.html where Ebony vs Shen Hao was discussed.

Inevitably everyone has their own preferences, which is really the beauty of LF - once you've found a camera that suits!

George,

Deardorff! Either a new or used one. IMHO, for a lightwieght 300mm, go with the 305 G Claron---It'll allow for greater movements than the Nikkor M even though its single, not multicoated. A 12" Goerz Dagor would be an excellent choice as well.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    George,

Deardorff! .
    GANDOLFI!

(just because it is more beautiful )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    I wasn't trying to hijack the thread away from the two particular options, it seemed to make sense to include a mention of the Shen Hao which probably would fit the bill as Sandy and Tom have suggested.

A long thread here http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13338 where Ebony vs Shen Hao was discussed.

Inevitably everyone has their own preferences, which is really the beauty of LF - once you've found a camera that suits!
    Just for the record, the Ebony vs Shen-Hao comparison in the above thread is based on 4X5 cameras. 5X7 and larger Shen-Hao cameras are very different from the Shen-Hao 4X5, in that 1) they are double extension cameras, and 2) the hardware is of titanium metal (as it is on the Ebony).

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So, Sandy... where are Shen Haos manufactured ? Of course I'll look it up in a Google Search, but I have to say that I'd prefer a Japanese or European camera. Japan is my favourite Asian country and Europe is where I live (my home-continent).

Ole, Norway should enter the European Union. This way, you'll be paying for other countries debts, and I'll be able to order tax-free stuff from Norway. I hear you have good quality Mackerel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin