Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 715

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    So, Sandy... where are Shen Haos manufactured ? Of course I'll look it up in a Google Search, but I have to say that I'd prefer a Japanese or European camera. Japan is my favourite Asian country and Europe is where I live (my home-continent).

Ole, Norway should enter the European Union. This way, you'll be paying for other countries debts, and I'll be able to order tax-free stuff from Norway. I hear you have good quality Mackerel.
    Shen-Hao cameras are manufactured in a fairly small shop in Shanghai, China. The web page is www.shen-hao.com.

I purchased my camera directly from the factory in China and did not have to pay any duties or additional taxes on it on arrival to me in the US.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi,
    If you are going to spend the price of an Ebony. Check out the new Arca Swiss...EC

Why not look at a Wehman 8x10 - yes, it is a US based company, but I am sure that Bruce Wehman will do business with folks in Europe. The Wehman is a very lightweight (8 pounds) yet very sturdy camera. It folds into its own aluminum shell and is therefore very well protected. It is one of the best values in 8x10 Field cameras. I own one and am very happy with it. www.wehmancamera.com

George,

There are a lot of greeks living in Chicago (where old 'dorffs were built)---does that make Deardorff a cool camera or what? You can probably get a professional studio used 'dorff through Mid West Photo Exchange or Lens and Repro(these places seem to get several in at a time from professional studios that are succumbing to digitalis) It'll probably cost a lot less than either a Gandolfi or Ebony.

Oopa!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy, if I travelled to Japan or China, I would definitely grab the opportunity and buy a camera there (where it'll be cheaper). Then I would not declare it when entering my country and so avoid paying the tax. If ever a customs inspector opened my bag and found the brown box, he would never understand that it's a camera and not a folding oriental breakfast table (that I would tell him it is).

Deardorffs look OK, they're on my list. I am a bit afraid of buying second hand though, because of the possibility of buying a "loose" camera...

The Wehman might be a good tool, but you have to admit it's not beautiful...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    George,

Gandolfi has a second hand 8x10" Variant in now. Buying a second hand camera from the original maker should be safe! http://www.gandolficameras.com/
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Addendum: There's a Traditional 8x10" too, for sale for a customer. No front swings as far as I can see, but Eddie can retro-fit that if you want. Still cheaper than a new camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sattler123
    Why not look at a Wehman 8x10 - yes, it is a US based company, but I am sure that Bruce Wehman will do business with folks in Europe. The Wehman is a very lightweight (8 pounds) yet very sturdy camera. It folds into its own aluminum shell and is therefore very well protected. It is one of the best values in 8x10 Field cameras. I own one and am very happy with it. www.wehmancamera.com
    I`ll second that, I got mine a few days ago, and I`m very impressed!
    Fantastic camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    George,

Gandolfi has a second hand 8x10" Variant in now. Buying a second hand camera from the original maker should be safe! http://www.gandolficameras.com/
    Sorry, Ole. I cannot manage to find the "Second hand" page in this site... could you possibly lead me to it with a link ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seems to be an inbeded page. Go to the site and on the left hand side click the button at the bottom of the page.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin