Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 806

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Horseman LE vs Sinar F1

Hello,

Just when I thought I'd figured out what to buy, up comes an offer for a Horseman LE. So, I wanted to ask for user opinions on pros and cons for these cameras. I'll be shooting outdoors mostly, and need long lenses as well as short. This is also my first LF rig. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used these in studio in the early 80's and loved them. The movements all "felt" very natural, and there was not a lot of jumping back and forth to compensate for the effects of movement interactions. It might be a little big for field use, although with a shorter rail, it might fold down compactly enough for you. Not sure if the LE is the version with removable bellows, but if it is, the whole thing folds pretty flat for transport, but not as compact as a field camera. Build quality is excellent. There are extension rails, bag bellows, and longer bellows available. I've used Sinars a couple of times, but am not competent enough with them (especially the Sinar movement system) to give a fair comparison.

If I were looking for a monorail camera, I'd go for the Horseman in a heartbeat.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto that! I have a Horseman LE that I love - the geared movements are a real joy to use. And Lee is right, the bellows are removable so that it will fold flat for transport. It doesn't take too long to set up in the field but it is bulky and I found it to be heavy; to heavy for my comfort. But if you're young & strong & determined, you will be happy with it. I switched to a Shen-Hao for field work and am considering selling the Horseman just because I don't use it much and I hate to see it just sitting there. But if a monorail was what I was after, I would highly recommend the LE. I think it even won some sort of design award or something.

Anyway, good luck in your decision

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the whole Horesman product line is grossly under-appreciated by the market. I don't understand why we don't hear more about their products.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

2 cents in the pot

i have a f1 and have no real problems to really speak badly of, except in the field, its rather heavy trekking up the trails up mt rainier where i normally shoot(w/ or w/o my 4x5). i have been looking into getting a 45fa field camera by horseman simply for the fact its more compatible in the field when i decide to go out somewhere,plus the fact that sinar and horseman boards are roughly one the same-hence they are interchangeable(at least last time i checked any way!?). i haven't seen this monorail camera from horseman, but...like everyone is saying they are underrated and do definitely deserve some attention. hope this helps

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've gotta echo all the nice stuff the other posters have said about the Horseman L series cameras. I've had an LE for a good while now, and I love it. The controls fall right where you'd think they should be, the movements are all smooth, and lock solidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Not sure if the LE is the version with removable bellows, but if it is, the whole thing folds pretty flat for transport, but not as compact as a field camera.
    Yes, the LE45 has removeable bellows, and you can fold it flat. There's a review on largeformatphotography.info (link) by a guy who apparently backpacks his LE.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin