Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,143   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filters for recessed 90mm f/6.8 Angulon

Does anyone have any suggestions for using filters with the recessed 90mm f/6.8 Angulon? I was thinking of getting the basic Lee B&W filter set as it has all of the filters I use and my LF lenses range in filter size (if they even have one). The thought is that I could set the aperture, shutter speed, and cock the shutter on the angulon and then attach the Lee filter holder to the outside of the shutter. Would this work?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lee makes a Push On filter holder that will attach directly onto the lens, with an outside diameter of 100mm. There are custom adapters for this to fit on smaller lenses. I wouldn't get the filter set you referred to. Lee sets are expensive, but there are much better sets than the gelatin, get the resin ones (they are about $70 each). The Lee system is very well made - outstanding quality IMO.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Doesn't it take 40.5mm filters? I've used ordinary 40.5mm filters on mine occasionally, but usually I use a 42mm Linhof clamp-on shade with slip-in filters, with the shade unscrewed for 90mm, and in place for the 135mm and 150mm lenses I have that can use this shade.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it kind of defeats the idea of using such a small lens to start horsing around with 4x4 gels, and it will be downright inconvenient to access the controls even with the slip-on device.

I use (soon to be used) a 52mm ring and a stack of 52mm filters - certainly fits more in keeping with the style of the lens.

Hey, equipment asthetics are important!

I think Frank is right on the money here: I have an original Schneider filter made for the 90mm Angulon and it is pretty much a 52mm filter in an integral 40.5->52 ring; the idea is to prevent mount vignetting caused by the 40.5 filter mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a picture of Brad's new-to-him 90mm Angulon and this is what it looks like (this is a link a photo from another thread here on Apug): http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...achmentid=2497

There isn't much of a filter thread to it and I don't know what the size is. Right now I have lenses with filter sizes ranging up to 67mm so I thought a gel filter system would be the best value for the money as opposed to buying multiple sets of different size screw-in filters.

Robert: By the Resin filters at $70 each, do you mean for each filter? That's just out of my price range right now as I can't afford to buy $300 in filters.

Frank: The reason I use this lens isn't because it's small and light (though it helps), it is because I just don't need the coverage of the more expensive 90mm's as I shoot it on 3x4 so the size of the 4x4" filters doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as having multiple sets of screw-in filters.

The way I do it right now is that I just hold the filter in front of the lens with one hand during the exposure. The problem is that I also shade the lens with the darkslide so this can become very haphazard as I shade using the darkslide with one hand and hold the filter up with the other--and then a third hand for the cable release?!? I have to release the cable with the same hand as I hold the filter up with, very awkward. Since I added a lens to my stable with a filter size larger than the 52mm set of filters I have now I wanted to know my options. If need be I'll buy a set of 67mm filters and just hold them up in front of the lenses as I am doing now with the 52's.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just checked out the filter step-up rings and the prices were very reasonable, so this may be my best course of action. It may require a step-up filter of 40.5-52mm for the 90mm and a step-down filter of 58-52mm for another lens, but this would have me set for LF at the lowest price. My 67mm and 77mm (forgot about that one) are medium format lenses and for the time being they will just have to do without filters.

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Doesn't it take 40.5mm filters? I've used ordinary 40.5mm filters on mine occasionally, but usually I use a 42mm Linhof clamp-on shade with slip-in filters, with the shade unscrewed for 90mm, and in place for the 135mm and 150mm lenses I have that can use this shade.
    David:

without the shade, the filter holder works fine, doesn't cut off the corners of the image? On my 135mm I had a skylight filter on it, and at the time I didn't have any of the proper slip in filters, but I noticed that a series VI filter will slip into the back of the Linhof filter holder, but when I did that, using the shade, it cut off the corners! Now that I have some of the proper slip in filters, it's not a problem anymore. (and I removed the screw on skylight filter)

Speaking of the Linhof slip in filters, do you know if there's any documentation of filter equivalents? I have a Linhof Red filter, a Green one, a yellow one, as well as warming / cooling filters, but don't know what filters they're equivalent to. Is the Red a #25 or a #29, etc.

-Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I just checked out the filter step-up rings and the prices were very reasonable, so this may be my best course of action. It may require a step-up filter of 40.5-52mm for the 90mm and a step-down filter of 58-52mm for another lens, but this would have me set for LF at the lowest price. My 67mm and 77mm (forgot about that one) are medium format lenses and for the time being they will just have to do without filters.
    Jeremy:

Can you use a 40.5mm to 67mm step up ring? I have a step up ring that's a 40.5mm to 55mm that somebody then glued on a 55mm to 67mm step up ring to, that came with my 90mm Angulon when I bought it, and I have no use for it, if you're interested in it, send me a PM.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    David:

without the shade, the filter holder works fine, doesn't cut off the corners of the image?
    Yes, if I take off the shade and just use the filter holder, I don't have problems with the 90. With the 135, it depends on how much movement I use. If I've got a lot of front rise on a vertical, for instance, I'll unscrew the shade with the 135 too.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Speaking of the Linhof slip in filters, do you know if there's any documentation of filter equivalents? I have a Linhof Red filter, a Green one, a yellow one, as well as warming / cooling filters, but don't know what filters they're equivalent to. Is the Red a #25 or a #29, etc.
    Linhof filters are made by Heliopan, so you can just go to the Heliopan website to get the filter factors or e-mail Bob Salomon, and he'll send you a chart.

The warming series (KR) are red, unlike the 81 series, which are more orange. I prefer the KR series, myself. I use KR 1.5 like I would use an 81A (open shade, overcast light, or to remove the slight blue tendency of one batch of Astia that I have), KR 3 is about like an 81B (forest cover, heavy shade + overcast), and KR 6 is good for window light indoors. KR 12 is for shooting tungsten film in daylight conditions. I don't find myself needing the cooling filters too often, but KB 12 is like 80A for shooting daylight film in tungsten conditions.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin