Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,873   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

ULF 11x14 wide lenses/coverage?

I'm looking at purchasing a wide to semi wide lens for my 11x14 and was wondering if anyone knows of a list with makers that will cover this format or ULF formats. Ie 12in Dagors, 305/355 G Clarons........
    Any recomandations will be appreciated.
    Mike A.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For modern lenses, check the chart on this page--

http://largeformatphotography.info/lenses/

My 12" Gold Dot Dagor (stopped down) and 10" Wide-Field Ektar cover 11x14".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    A useful list here:

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Alt_...t%20lenses.htm

I have used the 355/9 G-Claron, 360/6.3 Fujinon-W (single coated), 360/9 Kowa Graphic, and a 210/9 Computar. All covered 11x14.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dont forget the ULF site - http://www.mamutphoto.com/ULF/lenses.html is very useful!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    I'm looking at purchasing a wide to semi wide lens for my 11x14 and was wondering if anyone knows of a list with makers that will cover this format or ULF formats. Ie 12in Dagors, 305/355 G Clarons........
    Any recomandations will be appreciated.
    Mike A.
    If you can find one the 240mm Computar is a great wide angle lens for 11X14" work. It is a very small lens and covers the format with almost two inches of movement. The 210mm Computar will also cover 11X14", but with virtually no movement.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 210mm Angulon in Compound shutter that I believe would cover at infinity. I've only used it at distances under 15 feet or so but the data from the chart mentioned above supports my feeling about the lens. According to that info, an Angulon design of 174mm should cover the format, so a 210mm should give a slight amount of movement at infinity as well:

Schneider Angulon f/6.8 105 degrees 6 elements/2 groups 174mm or 7"

I like it because it is a relatively compact lens for the format and appears sharp on 11x14 contacts (plus it takes the same shutter as an older 300mm convertible Symmar I have which according to that chart, will also cover 11x14-I'll have to check that out now). I've heard some Angulons were dogs but this lens and another Linhof-picked 90 Angulon I have are nice lenses and were a good value IMO.

Joe

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The coverage depende on the age of the Angulon....
    Post-WWII coated Angulons were redesigned (to give sharper images?) and lost some coverage. Late 210mm's were made for 24x30cm or 9.5x12" (well - they all were) and cover that format well. But 11x14" is quite a bit bigger, and newer lenses won't cover.

So with all Angulons remember that there are two "models", which differ with regards to coverage.

I've just bought a pre-war Angulon 210mm, but haven't seen it yet. From the original specifications it should barely cover 12x16", and coincidentally there's a camera of that size on it's way to me as well
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    300 Nikor m f/9 will cover and is a coated lens....I use it on 7 x 17 also

305 G Claron f/9 covers with more movement but doesnt have the coating the nikor has

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The coverage depende on the age of the Angulon....
    Post-WWII coated Angulons were redesigned (to give sharper images?) and lost some coverage. Late 210mm's were made for 24x30cm or 9.5x12" (well - they all were) and cover that format well. But 11x14" is quite a bit bigger, and newer lenses won't cover.

So with all Angulons remember that there are two "models", which differ with regards to coverage.

I've just bought a pre-war Angulon 210mm, but haven't seen it yet. From the original specifications it should barely cover 12x16", and coincidentally there's a camera of that size on it's way to me as well
    I owned a 210 f/6.8 Angulon for a while but eventually sold it because I was not satisfied with its performance on 7X17, which has a diagoinal just a tad longer than 11X14. The circle of illumination was more than large enough but performance at the corners was very poor, even when stopped down to f/45. It would have been a nice lens for 8X10 but I would not recommend this lens for any formats larger than that.

Mine was a rather late model coated lens, for what it is worth.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

I am surprized that you recommend this lens for anything bigger than 8x10 - in fact, in my experience, as soon as you need more than just a little movement on 8x10, you get really soft and mushy. I agree it is razor sharp and fabulous in the middle, but I in fact sold mine (and bought a 305mm G claron) when I started shooting more and more 8X10. I would have thought the corners on 7X17 would be frankly dreadful? Perhaps your sample is a real gem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin