Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,894   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat f6.3 No.4 question

I recently won this Century No.2 5x7 and it came with a Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat f6.3 No.4. It's in a B&L compound shutter that fires well enough for me to send to Flutot's for repair.

Can anyone tell me the focal distance of this lens or anything else about it?

Thanks as usual

Alan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century_01.jpg   Century_02.jpg   lens_01.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's to tell? Its a pre-US entry into WWI B&L f/6.3 tessar made under license from Carl Zeiss and sold to Kodak. Maximum aperture f/6.3, supposedly covers more and is in general better than if f/4.5 contemporary.

The best way to find its focal length is to measure it. Go measure.

I suggest this in part because based on my limited experience -- I have one in barrel, s/n 1733784 -- the numbers, e.g., No. 4, on "Kodak" lenses don't match those on corresponding B&L lenses as can be found at www.cameraeccentric.com. And I haven't found a Kodak-specific table linking "number" to format or focal length. FWIW, I measured my Zeiss Kodak f/6.3 #4 at 7" +/- a little.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 08-03-2005 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Dan. Now how do I measure? I'm new at this

Shooter
    35mm
    Focus on infinity and measure from the center of the shutter to the ground glass.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Claire

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found an elegant way of measuring the focal length of any lens, including tele constructions:

In an othewise unlit room I taped a sheet of white paper to the wall opposite of the window. I drew one vertical line on the paper. I then focus the image of the window on the paper, line up one edge with the line, and draw a line down the other edge.

Having a few lenses of known length halps a lot, of course - any lens will do!

Make a curve of focal length vs. width of window image, interpolate to find the unknown lenses.

Half an hour's fumbling about with lenses and I had a neat list!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I posted that bit as an article (slightly expanded), to make it easier to find.
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Cable release mystery

Our talented Carol at Flutot's has informed me while performing a CLA on this shutter that it takes a rather hard/impossible to find cable release. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what type it takes and where I could find one? See third picture on original post if you're interested.

Carol has been using a paper clip to test it but I think I might lose some street cred if I was seen using one in the field

I'm waiting Ole...(heh-heh )

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Alan,
    That's a US made shutter. I know the German made Compounds, but not those license products...

All my old shutters (1910 and newer) take standard cable releases!
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, it was worth a shot
    Maybe one of the US guys will shed some light on this when they get up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin