Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,248   Online: 989

View Poll Results: Do you take a backup shot?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always. Better be sure than sorry.

17 27.87%
  • Depends: if the scene is unrepeatable.

38 62.30%
  • Are you crazy? a BW 4x5" sheet costs 1 Euro (and more)!

1 1.64%
  • Never! Backups are for sissies and it doubles the number of scenes to photograph!

5 8.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup sheets?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Backup sheets?

[size=1][color=Silver]aaaah, my first poll[/color][/size]

Do you make a backup exposure and in what circumstances?
    ATM, I don't, because I'm still too much in the process of learning movements etc of a LF camera.

BTW, one thing that helps me a lot to make better exposures, is the Palm VadeMecum by Robert E. Wheeler. Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the only times i didn't make a few exposures, i had a spigot - leak in a "bladder of fixer in a box" i kept on a shelf, and it dribbled on my unexposed film ... ( pre development / in the dark ) so i just want to make sure ... and not only make a few exposures, but have my box-o-chemicals on the floor, not on a shelf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm tending toward an extra shot if I want to do minimal agitation and wonder about the effect. Too much blue sky, different effect on highlights, etc.

With E6 I may take an extra to bracket or push-pull development a bit as well. Just depends on light and how I feel at the time. On one I think has really good potential, I'll do an extra sheet ot two, maybe three if I'm considering a change in development for effect. No hard and fast rules on this one. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If shotting for a client I take at least 2 of every setup at every setting.

If shotting for my self I take at least two but may change my settings on additional exposures.

In addition I will shot each subject from at least two (generally more) vantage points. The frames or sheets begin to multiply quickly.

When I was paying a lab to do my development the bill would get pretty large.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For portraits I regularly shoot at least 4 sheets (usually more), just to have a choice of expressions, in case of closed eyes or subject movement, and backups in case of a damaged negative.

If I'm shooting something for someone else, I'll err on the side of caution and shoot some backups. If it's for myself, unless I'm unsure of something or deliberately want to try two ways of developing or unless it's something *really* special, I don't shoot a reserve sheet typically.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes, sometimes not. More and more "not" as my confidence increases.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I always shoot a backup, and i always develop them separately. I develop the 1 and review it, before developing the second. often making minor changes in development for #2.

If i should bracket a shot, i'll make backups of those as well, and develop the same way.

film is cheep compared to my time and effort to get to the subject.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I take backup sheet if the scene is unrepeatable or very far from my home. I'm coming back from hollidays with 160 8x10 shots (2x80). After developing the first serie for normal prints having no bad surprise, I'm in the way to develop the second one for alternative prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    I'm in the way to develop the second one for alternative prints.
    Aha! That's the first time I hear about what people do with their backup sheets when they are satisfied with the primary development.
    Interesting point of view, but I'm not yet in alternative processes (yet) (said the same about 4x5 some months ago...)

G

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    film is cheep compared to my time and effort to get to the subject.
    Yes and no--depends on what format you shoot and film management options for different situations. In the field, if I'm hiking with 3-5 8x10" holders for the day, then I'm less likely to be shooting backups. 11x14", where the filmholders are $300 a piece, not to mention the cost of film, I'll also measure twice and cut once. 8x10" Polaroid at $9 a shot--I'll sometimes go as many as 3 sheets to get something just right, but I can usually get it in one or two.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin