Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,256   Online: 996

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Wives, convertible BMWs and LF Cameras...

Last weekend I was sitting out on the back patio sipping a little of Tennesee's finest when my accountant, out of the blue, says "why don't you sell the BMW and buy yourself that nice wood field camera you've been dreaming about?".

Ok, so I bought a well used BMW convertible a little over a year ago and have put maybe 250 miles on it since....it just sits in the garage..a real garage queen. My wife's motivation is quite transparent...you see, before the BMW, that portion of the garage now occupied by the garage queen belonged to her car. It is summer here and it is HOT. Her car has to sit out in the sun and cook....a few weeks ago, she wanted to sell the BMW to pay for the piano we just bought...the notion was quickly and decisively vetoed.

Anyway, when first she suggested the idea, I just kinda laughed to myself but, now, I'm thinking...I might be able to get a nice Canham Traditional or....a Wisner Technical. I'd really like the Ebony but, if I buy new, would prefer to support our domestic craftsmen (like Keith Canham and Ron Wisner)....so, what do y'all think? Should I "go for it"? Should I call her on it?

And if so, what could I get for around $3000 ????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would, but then I don't think I would have bought the car to start with. If you have put so few miles on it, you won't even miss it when it is gone. Your accountant will be happy and so will you. Sounds perfect to me. Makes me wonder what kind of a deal I can work with my accountant.

I think you should go for a really good used camera. Are you looking for an 8X10? At 4X5 you could get one hell of a used camera and a passel of newish lenses for the money. For 8X10, I suspect you could get a really good camera and a couple of nice lenses. You must go for it!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wood and glass is always a fine investment Better jump on that 355 G-Claron I just listed so you'll have the killer lens for the 8X10 you're dreaming about. Did WFW ever sell his 11X14?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Let's see, for 3000 bucks, you can get a very nice wooden 4X5 camera, a 90mm super angulon, 150mm rodenstock, 210mm schneider convertible, pentax spot meter, polaroid back, of cause they are used, just like your new BMW, throw in some films and holders, and you are ready. Or, you can go big, like 8X10, but you will have less lens to start with. For the remaining of the money, arrange a nice diner and figure out how to explain it to her.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bager sells the Canham JMC 8x10 for $2600 and the wood field for $3200. Your choice!

You can alaways wait for one to come up on E bay, but they are few and far between.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim, Saw the new G-Claron...that and a Canham 8x10 traditional would be a sweet entry into the world of 8x10....we shall see. I think I saw WFW post a 7x17 or somesuch not long ago...I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the Wisner kit he sold a while back. That was a sweet outfit. Somebody here at APUG bought it...hmmm, I wonder...?

Paul, yeah, I'm thinking 8x10. In 4x5, I already have a Crown Graphic, a Toyo monorail and a handful of unremarkable lenses. I guess, while I'm dreaming, I might as well dream big. I do like your idea of going for a camera AND a few nice lenses however....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmm, Brad, should've listened to you wife. you could've made her happy and still get the camera.

My suggestion is, whatever you do, include a gift for her too.

Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    hmm, Brad, should've listened to you wife. you could've made her happy and still get the camera.

My suggestion is, whatever you do, include a gift for her too.

Kind regards,
    Nicole
    Nicole, Excellent suggestion. Thanks for your insight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee, I feel honored to have seen the BMW out of the garage!

Get everything at once. One big package (or a few within a week) and it is all from the sale of the car. A bunch of boxes delivered to your door over a month...not such an easy sell.

Nicole's advice is excellent!

This is probably not the time to bottom fish too much. Get it right the first time. Work with people you trust. Get good film holders.

One suggestion might be the 'dorff on equinox. They state that it is their old user camera. Should be in good shape. Otherwise, talk to the good people at MPEX, they might be able to put together a package for you.

Why a field camera? If you could find one, consider the pocket 8x10 like the good Prof. Goldfarb has. Packs small and light. Your kids will be able to carry it sooner than a wood camera!

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Jim, Saw the new G-Claron...that and a Canham 8x10 traditional would be a sweet entry into the world of 8x10....we shall see. I think I saw WFW post a 7x17 or somesuch not long ago...I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the Wisner kit he sold a while back. That was a sweet outfit. Somebody here at APUG bought it...hmmm, I wonder...?
    I think that a 7x17 wouldn't be a good plan. Just my opinion, but you have been posting more portraits lately. 8x10 is just too generally usefull. Unless you have a reason (or already have an 8x10) don't go for the ULF stuff.

Of course, I don't have anything bigger than 4x5, so what do I know? I think Jim's Circuit camera is still on eBay! 10"x 6 feet!

Matt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin