Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,232   Online: 1014

PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format

Large Format Question

Hi All,
    I have a chance to buy a Linhof Super Tecknika III kit with almost everything you would need including three Linhof lenses and the cams for rangefinder focusing all in a leather Linhof case. The lenses are the ones with the Linhof signature engraved on them. Price is $1,800, and everything sems in good light-tight shape.The shutters need to be cleaned and adjusted.
    As near as I can tell, this camera was made in the mid 1950s. So I am wondering about repairs and parts for so old a camera. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Onward,
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Hi All,
    I have a chance to buy a Linhof Super Tecknika III kit with almost everything you would need including three Linhof lenses and the cams for rangefinder focusing all in a leather Linhof case. The lenses are the ones with the Linhof signature engraved on them. Price is $1,800, and everything sems in good light-tight shape.The shutters need to be cleaned and adjusted.
    As near as I can tell, this camera was made in the mid 1950s. So I am wondering about repairs and parts for so old a camera. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Onward,
    Paul
    If it's been looked after, it's very unlikely to need repair - and if it does need repair, parts can be made. Just to be absolutely sure - this camera does have an international (Graflok) 4x5" back and not a hinged-screen back for 9x12 cm single-metal slides, doesn't it? Also, for the price you mention, the condition needs to be outstanding!
    Just for comparison: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 08-10-2005 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding new info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re repairs etc - phone Bob Salomon at HP marketing with the serial number and ask him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Tech III can be a good buy. There are some concerns: back in the day of the III, the infinity stop was cut into the rail rather than use an adjustable one.

The cam and lens are cut for a specific body. They are each shimmed to the rfdr. If somebody has taken any of it aprt, whether to figure out how it worked, or 'fix' it... it likely needs re adjustment.

The groundglass is smaller than a IV / 5.

It is not as good for lenses shorter than 90 mm

The front movements are more limited than a IV, but adequate. No front tilt, but it has a backward base tilt.

In general, a III works very well, but you can tell quickly why the IV was designed as it was.

The kicker for me would be the lenses. Depending on what THEY are, it is either a neat antique or a hot camera.

Oh. Marflex is the Linhof repair service. Call them, Speak to Martin to find out what can be fixed. It will be pricey, whatever it is.

Good luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The kicker for me would be the lenses. Depending on what THEY are, it is either a neat antique or a hot camera.
    I agree with this. My first guess is a 90mm Angulon, a 150mm Symmar convertible, and...

But it could be quite different: 135mm Zeiss Planar, 150 Symmar and 210 APO-Lanthar was the lens kit with mine - and those lenses are in a different league (price-wise, at least).

Check the lenses, check the mechanism, check the bellows. $1800 is high for an "average" Tech III, but a good price for a top one.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin