Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,479   Posts: 1,644,433   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shen-Hao 4x5 vs. Tachihara

Would you be given two choices in 4x5 folders: new Chen-Hao for 600$ or used but in excellent-to-mint condition Tachihara for 400$, what would be your choice and why ? Also, given you intention to use Graflock-compatable roll-film backs (for 6x9/6x12) besides of standard 4x5.
    The primary fields of use are landscape, some external (without professional ambitions) architecture, occasional environmental portariture.

Alex

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I didnt know graf backs would fit a tach? shen hoa also makes the holder for 6 17 but havent seen a report on it Badger has it in their inventory on line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't Tachihara featured by standard Graflock type holders ? Frankly, I didn't check their specifications, but will be suprised if this is the case. :-(
    The widest one I may be interested in in some future would be 6x12, 6x17 would be a real extreem for me. What I know is that Chen-Hao indeed uses standard Graflock holders attachments whcih allows standard roll-film backs, but not sure about Tachihara in this respect.
    But in the case it also uses such, would tachihara in excellent-to-mint condition for 400$ be better buy then new Chen-Hao for 600$ ? What do you think ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly, both are identically priced at Badgergraphic.com. Most people on this site who are familiar with the Shen, love it and recommend it highly. For me, though, saving $195.00 would go a long way to aquiring a lens, or a bunch O'film, or a Berlebach tripod (model 8023 at B&H is $174.95) or a one degree spot meter (digi one from Adorama is about $250.00), or a bunch of other stuff that you'll need or want. Besides, if the Tach doesn't satisfy, you can always resell it.

(0h, btw, you can check the specs of both for yourself at: www.badgergraphic.com )
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will you be using wide lenses (in 4x5 terms) with the rollfilm backs and if so does the Tachi have removable bellows? The Shen does and the wide angle bellows is about 100 USD IIRC - my 90 SA works very well with the standard Shen bellows (I can dial in as much rise as the lens will allow) on a recessed lens board. Check the rise available for the Shen Vs the Tachi - when you are doing architecture, you will not want to run out of rise.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, tough call indeed.
    I just figured Tachihara doesn't use standard Graflock back :-( which probably doesn't sound well if one intend to use roll-film backs (most of which apparently are Graflock-type).
    Go figure...

Still perhaps Tachihara is good value at 400$ ? What are its benefits relatively to Chen-Hao (if any) ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tried a Shen-Hao; didn't like it so kept my Tachihara.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May I ask you a bit elaborate please why didn't you like Chen-Hao bearing in mind your Tachihara experience ?
    Last edited by Alexz; 08-10-2005 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had my Shen-Hao for about four years now I think. It has performed quite admirably under any conditions. It has more movements than the Tachihara - if you want to get into architecture, it is the field camera to have. The only thing that will do better is a full-on monorail camera. The availability of accessories for it at inexpensive prices is also a huge plus - the bag bellows, the compendium lens hood, Linhof/Wista lens boards, all argue in favor. Also, while the camera is fairly compact, I have a small wide-angle lens that I can leave on the camera when closed. I don't know if I could do that with the Tachihara. My only real complaint about it are the knobs for controlling some of the movements - they're a little too small. Other than that, I love the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a close friend who bought the sh@#-how and was totally disappointed by the poor fit and finish. Hard to slide in a film holder; flimsy;other problems......fortunately got it from jim at midwest and was able to switch for tachihara. much better camera for the dollar. can get graflock back for tachi from badger I believe as the nagaoka is same ? as tachi and they list one at $195 I think. Tachi can handle 65mm so doesnt need bag bellows. I am surprised at so much applause for sh@#-how as I was not impressed either. would definitely get tachihara......hi from the canadian rockies, richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin