Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,458   Posts: 1,643,779   Online: 767

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sinar F and F1 portability

How portable can be Sinar F or F1 setup comparative, say, to Linhof Color Kardan 45s ? I notice quite a few F and F1 around online, so just wondering, if I was considering (and still do) Color Kardan 45s instead of field folder (for landscapes/ architecture, i.e. short distance hikes out of the car), perhaps Sinar F or F1 will be as good as this Linhof in portability (and usability) ?

What do you say ?

Images
    I have no experience with the linhoff but the F1 is way portable. It folds down quite nicely and sets up about as fast as my feild camera. It is lighter than my field camera as well. I have a Prinzdorff field camera.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're comparing it to something like a Linhof monorail other than the Technikardan, then sure the F is portable. The Alpina and F were designed for the field and the Norma and P for the studio.

You can unclip the bellows at one end, turn both standards parallel to the rail, and make it flat for transport, and with the detents it's pretty quick to set back up, and while it's not the lightest camera out there, you could decide that the conveniences of the Sinar are worth a couple extra pounds.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you David, Mark.
    I was almost set for Linhof Color Kardan 45s but lost two Ebay "battles" for this one, however there are few F and F1 available at KEH.
    Would be great to figure F and F1 specifications as for their weight, pictures and dimensions in folded condition for hiking, any additional practical info/advises on portability of F and F1.
    My goals are lanscape and non-professional external architecture (and some occasional environmental portraiture), however no long distance hikes are anticipated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd definitely consider an F2 instead of an F1 if your budget goes that far - separate locks make the F2 a lot easier to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advise.
    I'm not familiar with F2 at all (not that I'm really familiar with F and F1, but at least read few times about these :-) ). What are these additional locks on F2 and why they make phtographer's life a lot easier then F and F1 ? Does it relate to its portability or usage convenience ?

In fact, my budget can hardly be stratched over 1400-1500 US$, perhaps by only 150-200$ at most. This is exactly the amount I hope to fetch out of my MF gear that is up for sale right now. And this should cover the camera + 1 or 2 lenses few film holders and necessary small accessories and preferrably including 6x9 roll-fim back.
    Somehow I suspect F2 would leave no room for anythnig but the camera itself for that kind of amount... :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not sure that this will be useful, but I am wondering if you might also want to look at a Cambo. They are certainly not of the quality of a Sinar or Linhof, but they tend to sell for a lot less and you will be able to save more of your budget for lenses, which is where the money will be best spent, in my mind. I have one of the SC type models, it weighs about 7 lbs, so I guess a little over 2 Kg. It has a full range of motions but it is not geared. Mine does have scales to show amounts of movement in cm and degrees, and movements are very smooth and there are zero detents with all of the movements. The camera cost me $200 here on APUG. There is a pretty good chance that you will end up getting another camera once you become familiar with what your needs are, if you do, you will be able to sell the Cambo for at least a big chunk of what you paid and get a model that fits your style better.

One thing is that it doesn't pack extremely well. I put my supplies in the trunk of my car and the camera in the back seat, and I can lug everything that I need to where I am setting up. I would never recommend this camera as a backpacking camera, but for working out of the car trunk, it is just fine for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Paul, this indeed may also be consideration although I suspect (jsut by looking at several pictures of the camera) is packs more bulky then Lonhof Color Kardan 45s, Sinar F1 or even Horseman LE. Though I may be wrong...
    Frankly Cambo line doesn't look as neat and rigid as the Linhof or Sinar mentioned above, although this feeling may be delusive by just looking pictures of these cameras, however at 200$ ?? Sounds more then attractive...
    However I would still be willing to be able to pack the camera for at least short walks out of the car (say, up to 1 km away), not sure whether this Cambo line allows to eb packed into backpack bearing 1-2 lenses and necessary accessories...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    However I would still be willing to be able to pack the camera for at least short walks out of the car (say, up to 1 km away), not sure whether this Cambo line allows to eb packed into backpack bearing 1-2 lenses and necessary accessories...
    Mine won't, so it probably won't fit the bill for you. Mine does not have standards that will turn 90 degrees to pack flat, like what you are looking at apparently will do. (At least I don't think so, I should check that, really)

It is probably not as rigid either, I mostly bought it because I was on an extremely limited budget and it was the best camera I could find for that kind of money.

Good luck,

Paul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've packed an F2 round a bit. It's not light. But it is possible and as mentioned, it has its uses that may outweigh (!) the extra weight. You can find them relatively cheap on the auction sites ($650 or so w/o lens).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin