Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,851   Online: 907

Shooter
    4x5 Format

90mm on Shen Hao 5x7?

I am about to pull the trigger on this camera but I want to know how it handles with a 90mm which is the widest lens I will use.

If you have used this combo I would like to know how it worked out?

can a 90mm be focused with a flat board and the standard bellows without the use of movements to bring the standards closer (ie tilting the front back)?

can you get any movements with a flat board and the standard bellows?

I know the camera comes with an adapter to use linhof boards if I took the adapter off is there a recessed lens board for the camera (in other words not linhof recessed but the standard board for the camera)?
    thanks

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bellows extension is 55mm to 360mm see specs at Badger Graphic Sales

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Badger only lists the 4x5 and the new 8x10. The bellows draw on the Shen-Hao 5x7 is 115mm to 580mm (according to Shen-Hao's site). The focal flange distance on the Nikon 90SW4.5 is 97.4mm and is 97mm on the F8 version (Nikon Europe LF page specs). Therefore you would need a recessed lens board for infinity focus. I have not directly used the camera (only the 4x5 model), this is just looking at specs. You may want to PM Sandy King, I did know that he has or had one of the 5x7 Shen-Haos.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Apologies all around,

I did not pay close attention to the question.....5 x 7 and ASSumed we were talking about 4 x 5....

Sorry about that

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Jones
    Badger only lists the 4x5 and the new 8x10. The bellows draw on the Shen-Hao 5x7 is 115mm to 580mm (according to Shen-Hao's site). The focal flange distance on the Nikon 90SW4.5 is 97.4mm and is 97mm on the F8 version (Nikon Europe LF page specs). Therefore you would need a recessed lens board for infinity focus. I have not directly used the camera (only the 4x5 model), this is just looking at specs. You may want to PM Sandy King, I did know that he has or had one of the 5x7 Shen-Haos.

It is possible to focus a 90mm lens at infinity with the 5X7 Shen-Hao. Using the front tilt mechanism you tilt the front standard straight back and the lock it down parallel to the back for use. You might even be able to focus a 75mm lens in this configuration but I don't know for sure. Of course, the normal bellows would certainly limit the range of movements using a lens of this focal length.

There is not enough bellows draw to use a 90mm lens without using the front tilt.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking

There is not enough bellows draw to use a 90mm lens without using the front tilt.

Do you mean that Sandy? Or do you mean that you need to tilt back? With 600mm of bellows a 90mm should be easy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Do you mean that Sandy? Or do you mean that you need to tilt back? With 600mm of bellows a 90mm should be easy.
    I just meant that in order to use a 90mm lens you have to tilt the front standard back, but this is not such a big deal. My 90mm will not focus at infinity just by racking the lens back as far as it will go.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the replies, this has answered some of my questions.

One more question I have is if I take out the linhof adapter is thier a recessed lensboard that fits this camera?

If I tilt the front standard back and use the wide angle bellows could I still get some front rise out of the camera?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format

shen hao 90 mm

I use a bag bellows with a 90, and even like it with a 120 better than the regular bellows. For some reason the sh bellows tends to bunch up more than say a deardorff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin