Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,348   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Macy
    Contacts - a good reason to go to 5x7, just wasn't evident from original post.

Sorry I don't have the specifics on the lens differences. But would think that Specs from Ebony website will list shortest lenses for each camera. Otherwise email them or a local dealer. So long as it does 90mm you will be absolutely fine fro most circumstances. Wider than this and expensive ND centre filters rear their heads- from one who is trying to avoid buying one for a little used 75mm Super Angulon!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Colour film in 5x7" is nt a problem - at least I haven't found it so! I admit to expanding my film choise with a couple of 13x18 holders as well, just so I can use any film of the appropriate size.

The only reducing back I have any experience with was the Linhof Technika one, which characteristcally kept the same register distance as the 5x7" back. I have no reducing back on my current camera (Gandolfi Traditional) - the only thing I might use it for is Polaroids.

My Gandolfi takes anything from a 90mm f:8 Super-Angulon to the 420mm rear group of a Symmar 240/5.6, and probably shorter too if I ever get one. The Ebony should take at least the same range.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tom,

Thanks for your most helpful post!

I pretty much read all the LF threads here on APUG and on the LF site before coming to the conclusion that 5x7 may be the best way to go for me. However, what I don't understand is that even though many, many posts indicate that 5x7 is quite ideal (eg better aspect ratio, better for contact printing vs. 4x5, much bigger negs but camera not that much bigger than 4x5, etc. etc.), the 5x7 format is considered the "step-child," and sales for this format is obviously a lot less than 4x5. At the same time, I have been talking to Jim at MPEX and he said that he has of late been receiving a steady stream of buyers for the Ebony 5x7, which is great.

For 5x7, my understanding is that the image circle of the lens have to be at least 210mm in order for there to be sufficient coverage, right? I am thinking of starting with the Schneider 110XL that you mentioned, plus the 210 apo-symmar-L.

I am definitely siding with the non-folder right now. The ease of set-up is very attractive. Though I'd still like to know how much longer a folder would take. The only thing going against the non-folder is the bulkiness, though it is still lighter than the folding (I'm referring to the 57SUE at 3.5kg vs SV57UE at 4.1kg).

I will take a look at the Walker that you mentioned as well. I read how you came to that decision (old threads). I'm glad that you seem to have found your "ideal" camera!
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 110 and a 210 would give you a nice spread to start with. A brilliant wide lens in the 110 and a std 210. If you dont want to go as wide as 110 on 5x7, shoot a sheet of 5x4 instead until you have a couple more lenses. If you do decide to bridge the 110-210 gap, you have one of the trickiest lenses to find; a 150 for 5x7. It has had me head scratching for some time. I have the G claron, but I reckon it will be soft at the edges once enlarged a few times, but will reserve judgement as the 210 is fine on 10x8! The Sironar 150 W is very rare and not cheap (not available new), the 150 XL is overkill and very expensive (and heavy(ish)) and the 150 Summar HM is similarly heavy and expensive, but with smaller front thread. None of the normal 150 5.6 plasmats have a big enough circle for movements.

So....I have pretty well decided to abandon the 150 route and go 110, 180, 300. Big gaps I know, but the 150 Sironar W could take rather too long to materialise in the UK. I could buy from US but we get robbed by our Taxman for 30+% upon import. The 180 Symmar L would be perfect as it has a very big cirlce of 277mm.

If you dont intend to have too many lenses, might be worth going 110, 180, negating the need for a tricky 150 and an (easy) 210 but leaving you only one lens between 110 and 300. I hope once I have done my wheeling and dealing, my kit might be:

72, 110, 180, 300, 400T....but have lots of buying and selling to do to get there, esp as I am getting out of 10x8 as 5x7 seems so right. As you say, I am sure I have found the perfect camera and so want to get the lenses right.

Something I touched upon earlier was parallelism, which is where the front standard is absolutely square with the rear (film). This is very important with v short lenses. If you ever intend to use the short lenses on 5x7, such as 72XL and 90mm, having a very rigid non folder really helps ensure everything is perfectly square with no input required from you. The bellows are shorter therefore less compressed so unlike on some cameras where the belloows are so scrunched they actually provide back repssure on the standards, you have none of this on the non folders designed for wides. I cannot wait to get a 72XL on the 5x7 for london architecture

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One way to solve the color problem in 5X7 would be to get a 6X17 rollfilm back. That combination would make quite an enviable system. Not that an everyday ordinary 5X7 Ebony isn't enviable
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tom,

I really like your lens choice ideas. I will pick up the 110 XL for sure, but will re-think the 210 in favour of the 180 as well. You are very lucky to be living in a city where there are so much beautiful architecture to be had. Toronto is definitely not known for its architecture!

I was leaning towards the non-folder before, but you have sold me completely. Now it's a question of Ebony or Walker. One reason Ebony may be a better deal for me is that photo equipment made in Japan are not subject to duties in Canada. I'm not sure about photo stuff made in the UK. I'd have to check into that.
    Macy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    One way to solve the color problem in 5X7 would be to get a 6X17 rollfilm back. That combination would make quite an enviable system. Not that an everyday ordinary 5X7 Ebony isn't enviable
    Jim,

That is quite a good idea!
    Macy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Architecture here is not bad if you ever visit! Bring your wides! Phots attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lloyds 2 exterior Night.jpg   Canary Wharf Steel Pillars.jpg   Lloyds 3 stairwell Crop.jpg   More London Green Tree Evening.jpg   LLoyds Exterior 1 Night.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tom,

Thanks for sharing! I especially love the first two (from the left).
    Macy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin