Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,523   Online: 1041

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your experiences with a 305mm Apo-Nikkor

I'm about mid-way into getting my 8x10 Ansco into full operation, and would like to hear back from anyone regarding the 305mm f/9 Apo-Nikkor process lens. I picked this one up a while back,...it's an older version with the yellowish/straw-coloured coating. From S.K. Grimes' site, it appears to be mountable into a Copal #1; one of which I have on hand.

- Is there anyone who is/has used this lens?
    - Is the coverage just so, or does it allow for movements? (moderate or extreme)
    - For practical field use, does one have to stop down to f/22, for (sharp)infinity focus, as with the G-Clarons?

thx, Paddy
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    35mm
    I have some thoughts but no experience with thens. My thoughts are that the lens is probably a 'dialyte'..symetrical, 4 element, all air spaced design. At infinity I would expect very limited coverage of an 8x10 negative if indeed it does cover it at all. It may possibly cover an 8x10 at very small apertures.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your lens might / might not be usable for 8x10 at infinity. It would be a great lens for 5x7. In an 'artar / apo dialyte' type, you really need a longer focal length.

If you shoot close ups, say 1/10 lifesize and bigger you could get by. Great, great lens, just a little short for your purpose
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 305mm Apo Nikkor - a very nice lens. At f22 it just covers 8x10 at infinity. I contact print, and usually stop down to f45 or smaller apertures.

The 305mm can be mounted in a Copal - but machining is required. I use my Apo Nikkors in the barrel mount. I use a Polarfleece lens sock as my shutter - works great!

For the 8x10, I find that I usually prefer my 360mm Apo Nikkor, which has a larger coverage circle.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin