Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,666   Online: 679

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm partial to Kodak Master 8x10's. Real partial.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's not for everyone, but if you like monorails and you're willing to sacrifice certain conveniences for light weight and maybe do a little tweaking for some extra rigidity, the Gowland 8x10" PocketView is a very backpackable camera. I carry mine with 3-5 holders, 6 lenses, darkcloth, meter, filters and usual extras in an ordinary knapsack designed for laptop computers. Tripod goes on a shoulder strap, and a lighter camera means you can carry a lighter tripod. Usually I carry a heavier Bogen 3233 and Gitzo G 1570M head, but I can get away with a Tiltall for travel.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    I'm partial to Kodak Master 8x10's. Real partial.
    I have owned a KMV and I now own a Canham 8x10. I love the KMV, too, but I always found the front standard could not handle real heavy lenses. The Canham is very rigid but even it will shake some in a heavy wind (doesn't every view camera?).

I have a f64 backpack for my 8x10 outfit and I have schlepped it all over the place, even up and down huge sand dunes. I now have a convertible lens so that really reduces the weight. You would have a very lightweight outfit with a Canham 8x10 and a few lwell-selected enses.

A KMV is a great choice, too. You'll just be giving up some bellows draw and a slightly weaker front standard. But if your lenses aren't big and heavy (like 2 or 3 lbs), then you'd be ok. And the KMV on the used market costs about 30% of what a new Canham costs.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    A Toyo 810M can be found for about $1000. thry are great camera's. I love my Toyo's (7 of them right now, long story) but if I had to do it again I would own a Canham 4x5 and 8x10 with a 5x7 reducing back.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    A Toyo 810M can be found for about $1000. thry are great camera's. I love my Toyo's (7 of them right now, long story) but if I had to do it again I would own a Canham 4x5 and 8x10 with a 5x7 reducing back.
    You want to sell one?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Toyo is a favorite of mine....have a Wista 8 x 10 but only 24 inches on bellows....it is btw very light weight 10 lbs......I also use Toyo 8 x 10 monorail at times it has 1200mm of bellows...I like the attachments etc with this system....

On one desert trip using a Canham 11 x 14, (beautiful camera) in 104 degree heat, the metal lens board on the Canham, actually a Toyo, expanded in the heat more rapidly that the wood on the camera! We had to remove the back and it was a struggle to push lensboard and lens from inside the bellows....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Troy,

Where do you want to move this camera around? If you want to climb rocks or stairs I can’t help you. If you want to go on trails, fields, dirt or gravel roads, and hills consider something to carry the camera and pack. I just came back from a week on the trails of Acadia National Park in Maine. Some times I set up out of the back of my SUV, but if I wanted to go any distance from the parking area I put my camera on the tripod and strapped it on top of a Tenba bag full of gear seated in my baby jogger. Up to ten film holders go in a bag under the seat, strapped to the frame. The jogger has 20” wheels, shock absorbers, a lockable brake and a capacity of 100 pounds. That is one fat baby. http://www.babyjogger.com/ There are other brands and styles. I got mine on eBay.

For a solid, rigid or flexible, eight pound, 8x10, well built camera with good service, look to RH Phillips and sons. Dick only takes orders the first ten days of the year and new is too pricey for your stated budget, but again I got mine on eBay. Dick also hears of used cameras for sale once in a while and will pass that on if you ask.

Good luck,

John Powers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin