Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,214   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

One more time 8x10, question

Originally I thought I would not want to hike more than about 500 feet with one of these monsters, but now I am thinking I actually might like to shlep one of these things around occasionally. I picked up a Cambo 8x10 and its nice and stiff but it is heavy and bulky.

Now what I want is something of good quality,

That is.........

Reasonably stiff and will lock down and wont move when inserting a filmholder.
    Weighs about 10-12#.
    Is moderatly priced, at maybe $1000-$2500 used. I expect I am going to have to pay for lightweight high quality.
    Something that folds up and is compact.

I guess the first camera that comes to mind is the Canham, followed by the Wisner, Wista and less expensive and I am sure less quality Shen Hao and tachihara cameras.

I would rather have something realtively new, but I would not discount a Deardorff or the like. I guess I would consider a Kodak Master View too

Any opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deardorff, no front swings. Cheap, light.

Kodak 2 D.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gandolfi Variant, weight 4 kg (8 lb), price (used, from Gandolfi) GBP 1500.-.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also the Wehman:

http://www.wehmancamera.com/camera.html

Maybe a used Phillips if you watch and buy carefully. Deardorff is O.K., but rather heavy for carrying IMO.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    <soapbox>
    I haven't tried a Shen-Hao 8x10 yet, but I wouldn't bash them out of hand like that. For starters, the Shen-Hao 8x10 actually has titanium bits, not just pot metal. Second, having worked with the 4x5, it is remarkably solid.
    </soapbox>

The above being said, I think my first choice for an 8x10 would be a Canham, for the light weight and easy portability. If I get to China before I decide to upgrade my 8x10, I'll visit Shanghai and see the Shen Hao factory, and see if I can get a better price on it locally. If not, it's a Canham for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know I just looked at a Wehman on line and it looks really nice. I only would question how stiff it is.

Does anybody here have any experience at all with one ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Troy,

Allegedly it is very stiff because the base is a "U" shaped piece of metal.

Do a search on Wehman on APUG and lfinfo. Bruce likes to say he's never seen one on eBay - and as far as I can tell, that's true.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ammons
    You know I just looked at a Wehman on line and it looks really nice. I only would question how stiff it is.

Does anybody here have any experience at all with one ??
    I have an 8x10 Wehman and I love it. It is plenty stiff with lenses up to and including 480mm. The shortest lens I use on it is my Schneider 110mm XL SS (infinity focus on a flat lens board).

I back pack my Wehman in a Kelty Redwing 3100 internal frame backpack. Camera, lenses, film holders, BlackJacket, etc. are all carried inside the pack. Tripod/Ballhead on the outside.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Between a Canham and a Gandolfi I would go with the Canham. Gandolfi has terrible customer service, or at least this has been my experience in the last month trying to get a Sinar front standard for my 8x10.

Canham has wonderful customer service and the Gandolfi Variant is not any better than his cameras. If it wasnt because I would loose too much money I would trade mine in for a Canham in a heartbeat.

I do have the 8x10 Wehman as well and it is perfect for Backpacking. It is very solid, yet very light weight. It weighs just over 8 pounds!! It is not a camera for people who love to brag about the looks of their cameras. As Bruce Wehman said to me - there's the Canham crowd and then there's the Wehman crowd, BUT it is everything you would ever want in a landscape camera. If you do a lot of architecture, then this camera is not for you because of the limited rise on it. Call Bruce and talk to him - he is very helpful and won't tell you any BS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin