Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,138   Posts: 1,613,779   Online: 1092

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Please...the climber in me needs to know...

How solid is that rock? Do grains come off when you rub it with your hands or toes? If you pull on juggy handholds and small flakes do they pop off? I need to know because that photograph makes the climber in me DROOL!

I agree - good image.

Murray
    Slick rock climbing, lots of exposure and holds come off in some areas very easily. On the other hand there are lots of places to take a verticle walk, but I would not go unsecured.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I recounted this story in another thread a few months back - while not in Zion, it seems somewhat approriate here:

I was out on some old mining roads near the border of Northern BC and Alaska with my LF gear in the truck (as always). It was my second day out (having camped in the back of the truck the night before) and I hadn't seen a single other person or vehicle for almost 2 days. I spied a potential shot from the truck that interested me, so I parked, put my pack on, slung my tripod over my shoulder and proceeded to bushwack up the side of a hill to get above the trees and get a better viewpoint. Imagine my surprise when I crested the hill and saw an old TLR set-up on a tripod! The photographer showed up about 10 minutes later (he was scouting another shot) and we had a good chat. He was out camping in the area with friends and had taken off hiking by himself for the day and spied the same shot. My shot! He was the only other person I saw that whole weekend. I took the shot anyway... some things just cry out to be photgraphed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    While I was setting up this shot I didn't notice any tripod holes.... but I was concentrating on keeping clear of the big yellow sign that said Kodak Photo Spot.
    -Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Patrick - the tree on the rock is on the side of the highway between the East Park Entrance and the Tunnel - In the area of Checkerboard Mesa.

Kirk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Matt, I was there and I have the same shot, although mine is not quite as well crafted as yours appears. Although it has been shot many times before this is the first time I have shot it. For me it was a great experience.

Abel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Slick rock climbing...
    Thanks Mark. I used to climb years ago in what feels now like a past life. Next time I look at that image, I'll be sure to chalk up well in my day dream

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames
    Does anyone know where this is? Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this thing or if it is even still there. I am actually trying to remember myself.

Patrick
    It is about a mile and half past the small tunnel when you are traveling east Just off the road. If you had looked back towards the south there you would have seen the stains of a area that sees some great waterfalls when it rains. It is the one spot last fall (the waterfall area) that I hiked down to lugging my 4x5.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin