Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,510   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

If you've ever shot in Zion Park please read this

If you've ever shot in Zion park please read this.

So this is my sad story....
    Last fall I attended the LF gathering that Per put together in Zion. On the final day I noticed a couple classmates just packing up from an area I hadn't shot in, so I stopped the car and looked around.

After looking around for a while I "discovered" this unique shot and went back to the car for the 8x10 and my last sheet of film to make this photo.

Now fast forward to the LF conference held this spring in Springdale. I purchased Steve Simmons book "Using the View Camera" and there on page 139 was a photo by Gordon Hutchings titled "Tree and Cliff" ( I kinda like the name) from basically the same angle... although his was shot with a 600mm and I only used a 450mm. My unique shot was just a standard Zion photo that everyone has.

So this is my question for you.... have you taken this shot at Zion before.... how does yours look. How many people have this unique shot in their collection, portfolio or on the wall.

I just think it's fun to know.

-Rob Skeoch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zion.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't and I think it is a wonderful shot. Unfortunately, with a place like Zion, it is nearly impossible (or at least very hard) to come up with something that no one else has, even if you came upon it without their inspiration. I think that's why I try to go places where no one else goes. It makes it all easier for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never been there, but IMO you have a beautifull print that anyone would be proud of...maybe others have made the same image...but heck, that one is Yours.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not me.

It doesn't lesson your eye just because someone else also saw it, but you didn't know.

However, let me go on record as saying that even if I found St. Ansel's tripod holes at Yosemite, I'd still take the picture!

Yours is great, BTW.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not Zion, but a few months ago I was at Corfe Castle here in the UK and decided that a good view might be a couple of miles to the south east, up a steep hill that might give an overview of the castle in its surroundings. Drove up there and lo and behold, an excellent view, better than I could have hoped for. A view showing the castle on its hill, commanding a natural gap in the ridge of the Purbeck Hills, a slither of Poole Harbour in the distance. Great

Got home a few days later, developed and printed, feeling quite chuffed with my insight that the hill would make a good vantage point. Decided I'd like to see exactly where I was on a map, so got out the maps and traced where I had been. Turns out, exactly where I set up my camera, the area has a name:

"Castle View"

Ho hum...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's still a nice shot Rob...even though you pushed me over, stepped on my camera, and stole my dark cloth to get it.

i was there and I don't have this shot...whatever that means...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was there and even used your camera for a few or six shots. This was not one of my six. I must have been running interference and throwing rocks at Matt so you could get this one Well done.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I thought I saw someone rolling downhill screaming...was that you, Matt? Or were you the one who was telling us to move a 1/4 mile further down the road????

Rob - don't let your enthusiasm for what you shot be dampened. It's a beautiful shot and it's the first time I've ever seen it.

S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have taken the same shot, but with a different focal length, and time of day. Each one is still unique. Mine is not so hot, your's is great. BTW, in a few weeks I move near there. I will be able to spend every day if I want running around in the park. I have to get out there and hike some of the old trails that are now almost forgotten. Come on up and stay any time you want to Rob.
    Non Digital Diva

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    ok thanks will do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin