Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 653

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sorry...another 8x10 question

How much does your 8x10 weigh? Is 11 pounds reasonable? I don't plan on going on long hikes, but would like to hike a little with my cameras. FWIW, I'm very active and relatively fit, but am not a big woman (5'8" and 115 lbs).

Still assessing the 8x10 vs 5x7 thing!

Thanks for putting up with my ignorant questions!
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Toyo 810 M @15 Lbs.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a V-8 'Dorff. It's about 13 lbs. The 4x5/5x7 'Dorff is 6.75 lbs. Anything more than a mile, I go to a 4x5 Horseman HD. 3.74 lbs. But then I'm over 55. Sigh.

If I had a 5x7 enlarger, 5x7 would be my main format. Nice Pt./Pd. contacts plus super enlargements. Truth is, I'm looking for a Zone VI type II. Cheap and close.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a couple of 8X10 Deardorffs. I don't find them to be difficult to use even though I am over sixty. I wouldn't think of hiking a mile with them today considering the film holders, lenses, and tripod.

I used 12X20 for about a year and found that was more then I wanted to handle.

I do have a 5X7 enlarger and would probably consider that to be the ideal format even though I don't have a 5X7 camera at present. I do have 4X5 and can make 11X14 enlargements from 4X5 that rival any 8X10 contact that I have ever made.

A lot depends on what you are wanting to do. If you want to make contacts then 8X10 may be your best choice. If you want to make prints larger then 8X10 then a different format would be more appropriate. If you want to climb mountains then smaller is better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My 8x10" Gowland PocketView is about 6-7 lbs, which is about the same as my Linhof Tech V 4x5". With the 8x10" the holders will catch up to you quickly.

The 8x10" Sinar P is staying home on its stand, thank you very much.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't have a clue what any of mine weigh...should find out sometime. But the 8x10 Korona feels lighter than the 5x7 (4x5) B&J, but that is really not the problem..it would be the film holders, tripod, head that start to add weight - IMO. Jeremy and I spent the better part of a day lugging the B&J (his and mine) around a state park not so long ago. Had mine in a LowePro backpak, plus a seperate bag with film holders, and the tripod on a sling. After a few hours I know I was wish it all weighed a bit less...but then would not say I was in the best shape. That said, I would not hesitate to do the same thing with the 8x10 if I had a pack it would fit in. The question should be do you want to contact print or enlarge...I find that for me all 3 formats fit, it just depends on what I am doing and how I see the final image (I know that does not help - but now you can see why I have all 3 formats)
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    8x10 Bender weights about 4-5lbs.

Calumet 8x10- 13-15lbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everyone!

The thing is, I want to start off with contact prints, because frankly, my husband will KILL me if I bring another enlarger home. My darkroom currently has a Beseler 23 already, and there simply wouldn't be anymore room for another enlarger.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before I bought my 810M I broke down and packed a Toyo 810G rail camera @ 19.6 lbs. Those were short hikes.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Wehman 8x10 weighs about 8.5 pounds. I carry it in a Kelty Redwing 3100 internal frame backpack (along with my filmholders, BlackJacket, lenses, etc). I often carry it 2-5 mles in the mountains (and I'm 70).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin