Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,186   Online: 870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Bob:

I've never heard of a bag mag that fits a Graflok back. All the ones I've ever seen or owned were for the Graflex back, which was used on the Graflex SLR cameras, and was an option of the Speed Graphics as well, but definately NOT a Graflok back, so you might want to check again. (Unless of course somebody modified it at some time to fit a graflok back, that's always a possibility)

-Mike
    Sorry, I should have mentioned it was modified...

It fits!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    bob -

a handful ( maybe 7 or 8 ) years ago i had the leather on my bagmag replaced.
    just found the name & address:

Designers the Leather Clothiers
    106 Charles Street, Boston, MA 02114
    (617) 720-3967

they charged something like $30.00 and the service was worth every penny.

- john
    Did they do the actual disassembly/reassembly of the bag mag, or just make the new bag? I have a couple of bag mags that could use new bags, but I'm real lazy about taking things apart, and prefer to send off the whole unit, and get it back with new bag already attached.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Did they do the actual disassembly/reassembly of the bag mag, or just make the new bag? I have a couple of bag mags that could use new bags, but I'm real lazy about taking things apart, and prefer to send off the whole unit, and get it back with new bag already attached.

-Mike

mike - -

i took the leather off of the box ( a handfull of screws?) and showed them the bag. they made a new one for me with a "lightproof stitch?" and i put it back together once i got back home.
    i am sure if you have a seamstress/tailor that works with leathergoods, you can do it close to home. to be honest, it has been nearly a decade since i had it done and i don't live in bean-town anymore, so i don't even know if this person is still around. i found him after looking "tailor / leathergoods" up in the yellow pages ... the ony one i called, and i think there were a bunch more ...

good luck!

-- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I completely disassembled my 5x7" bag mag to clean it and lubricate the moving parts. There's nothing mysterious in there. It's pretty easy to take apart and reassemble.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got a plate mag a while back for plate work and I need to have it fixed too....

Bit first off....

How do these things work?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I got a plate mag a while back for plate work and I need to have it fixed too....

Bit first off....

How do these things work?
    Bag mags arte a bit different in operation from Grafmatics. It's easier to understand if you have one in front of you. This is assuming that the darkslide end is pointing to the right...

Unsnap the restraining stap on the right end of the mag so that the bag can be unfolded.

On the bottom of the mag, right by the darkslide, is a "D" ring attached to a moving rod. Pulling that rod out draws the exposed film/plate septum out of the image area and into the bag.

Grasp the septum (yup, bag and all) and move it to the rear of the magazine and insert it in the back slot. This puts it in the back of the stack.

You have to be REAL careful that you don't damage the bag with the sharp edges of the septums. Leather will tend to shrink a bit over time and many of these bag mags REALLY need new bags. I plan on making a slightly oversized bag for mine.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's really hard to find leather thin enough to do these. I made a new bag from rubberized cloth, similar to that available from Porter's. I would suggest, if making a new bag, that you line it with some kind of tear resistant material. Some of the original bags were lined with wool fabric. There did not seem to be any particular model change to account for this. Perhaps a military issue. To use plate holders with sheet film, try to round up some old glass plates (eBay), insert them with the emulsion underneath, or remove it, and slide the film in on top of the glass. That will easily put your film in registration. If you really want to go high class, keep a lookout for an 18 sheet bag mag. I have one for my 3X4 Speed and I can shoot for a week.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

Robert Kennedy:
    from the instructions that came with one of mine;

"Caution:
    When loading the magazine be careful to place septums holding films or plates with the closed ends towards the changing bag. "

Practice moving the film/septums thru the cycle a few times to get used to it. Be careful not to handle the film while moving it thru.

Good luck with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin