Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,881   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graflex 4X5 12 shot "bag mag" question

One of these old beasties recently came into my possession. The magazine itself is in good shape, as are the septums. The leather, on the other hand, has numerous tears in it and leaks light like crazy. Has anyone ever done a bag replacement job on one of these? If you didn't use leather for the bag, what was your material of choice?
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,
    Although I haven't used/rebuilt one of them critters I would look at darkroom blackout cloth or perhaps sacrifice an old changing bag. That should give you a material with enough flexibility to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Bob, I've wondered about those things - what do they fit? I've seen them in auctions for the old reflex cameras, and I guess they're pre-Graflok ... do they take a Graphlex mount, or fit in place of a spring back?

Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    A couple of people on graflex.org have replaced the bag. One with leather as I remember. It might be worth asking there, or just do a search for bagmag leather as this has been discussed already there...

The other concern. Is it a film bagmag or a plate bagmag??? They are very similar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Hey Bob, I've wondered about those things - what do they fit? I've seen them in auctions for the old reflex cameras, and I guess they're pre-Graflok ... do they take a Graphlex mount, or fit in place of a spring back?

Nathan
    It'll fit a Graflok back (focus panel off, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV

A couple of people on graflex.org have replaced the bag. One with leather as I remember. It might be worth asking there, or just do a search for bagmag leather as this has been discussed already there...

The other concern. Is it a film bagmag or a plate bagmag??? They are very similar...
    Thanks Rich. You were right, I found an answer. Seems that rubberized darkroom black-out cloth is the material of choice. Mine is a film holder. The septums are a bit different than those for a Grafmatic, but are easy to load.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Great. I found out about the plate version after buying a box of septums for a grafmatic. It was cheap enough and I'm a collector enough that I didn't care all that much, so I didn't notice they were numbered from 1 to 12... Then I found out they didn't fit my bagmag either... Then, I noticed "Plate" stamped on the box ;-) I have yet to find a plate bagmag to go with them, but they are out there...

Good luck with it. They are very interesting...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    Great. I found out about the plate version after buying a box of septums for a grafmatic. It was cheap enough and I'm a collector enough that I didn't care all that much, so I didn't notice they were numbered from 1 to 12... Then I found out they didn't fit my bagmag either... Then, I noticed "Plate" stamped on the box ;-) I have yet to find a plate bagmag to go with them, but they are out there...

Good luck with it. They are very interesting...
    Yeah, the film septums have a piece of black cardboard in them - kinda strange, but they work.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    It'll fit a Graflok back (focus panel off, of course).
    Bob:

I've never heard of a bag mag that fits a Graflok back. All the ones I've ever seen or owned were for the Graflex back, which was used on the Graflex SLR cameras, and was an option of the Speed Graphics as well, but definately NOT a Graflok back, so you might want to check again. (Unless of course somebody modified it at some time to fit a graflok back, that's always a possibility)

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Often they are replaced with nylon bags. When I contemplated replacing the bag on my 5x7" plate mag, I was just going to cannibalize a small changing bag for it, but it turned out only to need a small patch, which I did with some thin leather and Pliobond.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bob -

a handful ( maybe 7 or 8 ) years ago i had the leather on my bagmag replaced.
    just found the name & address:

Designers the Leather Clothiers
    106 Charles Street, Boston, MA 02114
    (617) 720-3967

they charged something like $30.00 and the service was worth every penny.

- john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin