Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 678

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dorff Owners or wannabee's

Ok, so today I went to the photo swap meet in So. Cal. (any of you there?)

On my way out (only spent $12.00 so far) I saw a case with 8x10 holders...asked about them (I have an 8x10 that I haven't used or restored yet) and he pointed to an 8x10 Dorff folded up and laying in the back.

So I had to look at it. Had to... you know.
    On the outside (folded up), it looked nearly "as new". Upon opening it, the first thing that hit me was "new car smell"...Either the bellows were brand new or the darn thing had rarely been opened. (were the original bellows leather?)

Second thing I noticed was how easy it unfolded and sprang to life. The metal finishing was perfect, bellows (as seen briefly) were perfect, the wood was next to perfect, the leather handle as new and the tripod mount plate unmarred. The rear extension seemed too tight as my few minutes of fiddling (or fondling?) could not loosen. The glass was kinda yucky but no biggie.

Two lensboards accompany this along with five holders, three new type, two older type.

Now, for $1400 it is (is it?) "a deal" as a quick survey of dorff's on upay showed...most nice ones go for $1500-2K...the beaters for around $800.00.

Oh, he also said it belonged (patience...) to a well known photographer who died last year...maybe, most likely hype (?).

As I got his number and info (just in case ) and since the meet was ending in half hour or so, I feel relatively sure that this is still in the seller's posession. But you never know...

TELL ME ARE THEY WORTH IT? For this price in this condition, what else comes close? I could probably flip it for a small profit too. (right)

And FWIW, as I first entered I saw a 16x20 Saunders easel and it was gone by the time I finished getting around. $130.00.
    LESSON:
    I learned that next time I will do a quick look through the meet and not wait two hours to go back...usually gone if it's a good deal.

p.s. Don't ask for the Dorff owners number.

This is more of a "I want it" thing than "I need it". I think.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide not to buy, I would hope you would be willing to share the info, sounds good to me. (Just make sure that he didn't spray it with that new car smell spray that I have heard rumors about).

Since I am not any kind of expert at all, please take my opinion with a massive boulder of salt.

Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My goodness, what are you waiting for??
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not seeing that many $800 beaters any more. Lately it's $1100 and $1200 beaters on Ebay which makes a minty one very attractive. The only caveat would be to double check for front swing. Call the guy and get the serial no. Then contact Ken Hough to find out when it was made. I'm itching for a minty late '70's early '80's 8X10. I'm hard on stuff though so it's probably just as well that I keep my mid '50's well used 'dorff.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, it had front swings and yeah, I didn't notice the serial number...

It was kind of a quick view, then he said leave it open and stuck it back on the rear shelf...my luck someone then noticed it in the next few minutes and bought it..I would never have seen it if i hadn't asked about the FH's...

But I will call him tomorrow and see if I can go over and play with it some more, get serial#, ask a few Q's...He's fairly close actually...too close...

And YES, I would post his info should I decide to pass on it.

Should I buy it, you will see a bevy of stuff for sale from me soon as well!
    My 8x10 Korona has the extensiion rail and good bellows and I was only going to restore it to match my restored 4x5 korona. But It's a user as is...
    (hint)
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I recently sold my 8x10 Korona cause I didn't need it or want it eating up precious space. When I got my Deardorff it sure was a jump start to getting out and making negatives. I'm sure there are more user friendly modern designed cameras out there, but you ain't going to find one for $1400. I guess my point is that for me at least that camera was certainly worth it. But I only paid $1200 for it; guess it's one of the few things I have that's appreciated in value.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    Should I buy it, you will see a bevy of stuff for sale from me soon as well!
    My 8x10 Korona has the extensiion rail and good bellows and I was only going to restore it to match my restored 4x5 korona. But It's a user as is...
    (hint)
    Buy the Dorff...BUY THE DORFF!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dorfisms

I only have a 5x7 Dorff which I purchased pre-ebay. I paid something like $1700 at Adorama in NYC. Still needed new bellows at some point which I did put on. No one was really making 5x7's at the time anyway. It's a camera-sometimes it makes great images-sometimes I just toss the negatives. There is no myth behind this to me. Just bought an 8x10 Ansco in mint condition for $525. Needs nothing. Am I going to beat myself up for not getting a 'dorff? I'll let you know later....
    Best, Peter Schrager

It sounds like a deal!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blaze; your a pretty hard case. I have two "Dorff's that just followed me home. Mateo said "more user friendly modern designed..." Not so. Not at all. Except for the weight there is no more user friendly design ever made in a field camera. I have a Korona sitting on my fireplace. It looks nice. I had a Zone VI. It looked nice too but was worth to much to sit on the fireplace. Sold. The "Dorff's sit in their backpacks ready to use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin