Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,133   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Since I'm only 5'7", my fingers aren't so large that the knobs are too small for my hands (check a bio on Mongo or see Blazing Saddles), but I may get some tires as he did to make the knobs more user friendly. Thanks for the tip, Mongo!
    My pleasure Tim. Given that I'm a full foot taller than you, you can imagine why the knobs are a little harder for me to work with than they are for most people.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been talking to Mark from this Apug forum and following this thread as well and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info. I ordered my Shen 4x5 yesterday and I'm now waiting for delivery.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian,

After the comments from others and your research, I would be interested in your first impressions of the camera when it arrives. Please let us know what you think! tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also be glad to hear your opinion on Shen-Hao 4x5 upon its arrival.

Thanks, Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brimc76
    I've been talking to Mark from this Apug forum and following this thread as well and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info. I ordered my Shen 4x5 yesterday and I'm now waiting for delivery.

Who did you order from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Who did you order from?
    Ahhh, very good question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, "From whom did you order?" tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will post my opinion of the camera after I have had a chance to try it out but I will say that the 4x5 and the 5x7 I looked at on the Rattlesnake Point outing a few weeks ago were both very impressive cameras for the money. I think for me this was the point of it all - for a bit more than I paid for my Crown Graphic (which is in fairly new condition) I'm getting almost all the movements of my Arca Swiss monorail, but in a more compact package.
    I ended up ordering from Badger Graphics.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Wyno

I just received my Shen Hao 4x5. It looks great. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it feels so much more solid and has way more movements than my Nagaoka. Jeff at Badger Graphics was terrific. He let me know that new units had been ordered from China and roughly how long I would have to wait, but it arrived before I expected it to. Thanks Jeff. I'm looking forward to doing business with him again. I'll post more when I've taken some shots with it.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Brian,

After the comments from others and your research, I would be interested in your first impressions of the camera when it arrives. Please let us know what you think! tim
    Well I've been looking at this new Shen Hao for a week now and I've must say that I am very pleased with it. I haven't got a negative developed yet but I have had it set up on the tripod and put it through as many movements as I could shooting what I would normally shoot. I'm still using the same glass as I have been using on my Arca Swiss and my Crown Graphic so I'm not expecting much of a change there.
    Out of the box it is a little confusing. I've never used a wooden field camera like this before so I wasn't sure about folding or unfolding. My Crown is simple, you just push the front standard in all the way and fold up the front until it clicks. There are no instructions with the Shen - just a picture of the camera and a number to tell you what the part is. I can tell that the bubble level is a bubble level.
    Anyway, I put it on my tripod and put both my lenses on it (one at a time) and figured out how to slide the front forward then use the knobs on the side to bring the image into focus. It's pretty straight forward once you start playing with it, I was a little nervous of snapping something through forcing it but there was nothing to worry about.
    After that I took the ground glass back off and tried my Grafmatics as well as my Graphic 23 - 6x9 back. Everything fit snug and perfectly. I folded up the camera after I removed the front board and lens, by pushing the front all the way in and then folding it down to the base. Then the base will fold up and lock. I was use to it by the second time I set it up and as far as movements go it is a less than my Arca Swiss but so much more than my Crown. I like to shoot landscapes but my favourite is old abandoned schoolhouses and churches. There are more than enough movements on the Shen Hao for what I need to have, and the portability is just as good as carrying my Crown Graphic. In fact I have it packed up in a LowePro Magnum35 camera bag at the moment, with both my lenses (mounted on boards), my Minolta Spot F, and a couple of Grafmatics.
    The build quality is very good and the look is of a much more expensive camera. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone wanting to get into 4x5 or anyone that is looking for a reasonably priced 4x5 camera that offers a good amount of movements and great portability at the same time.
    If you want to get a little farther away from the car, this is the camera. Now if you have a lot of money laying around and want to spend it on something top of the line then that is your choice. I just don't have that kind of money at this time.
    Brian McDowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin