Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,575   Online: 1193

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sinar Lens Board Dimensions Please?

Hi, All

I took up Alan's generous offer to make some lb's, and wanted someone who owns a sinar to please measure a board for me, including thickness, and shutter hole diameters for copal 0 and 3. I haven't gotten my camera yet. Thanks a bunch,

GB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sinar boards are quite complex. They are 139 mm square, outer rim is 4 mm thick (front to back) and 2 mm wide, recess is then 1 mm down from that, center area is 5 mm thick, recess is 3.5 mm wide. #1 hole is 35 mm, #3 is 60 mm. If at all possible, borrow a board and measure it with a micrometer - I've only got a ruler!
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 07-23-2007 at 04:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just an afterthought - I have encountered a nice Swiss man called Peter Nowak:
    nowak@intercortex.com
    who makes Sinar-pattern lens boards and will cut custom-sized holes and finish the boards in a durable black crackle paint. Making Sinar boards really does need the right machine tools!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like the Sinar boards are best made in materials other than wood. Wood working tools and materials have very different tolerances than metal working tools and materials. What do you Sinar users think?

I'm not trying to back out on a challenge but would rather have the user matched with the most appropriate solution.

Alan.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Sinar lens board I'd be happy to give any of you. It came with a lens I bought about a year ago on eBay. I have no use for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    Sounds like the Sinar boards are best made in materials other than wood. Wood working tools and materials have very different tolerances than metal working tools and materials. What do you Sinar users think?

I'm not trying to back out on a challenge but would rather have the user matched with the most appropriate solution.

Alan.
    Wood wont work, as they are very thin. They have a groove around the outside too. Really to make one properly you would have to machine the groove on a milling machine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sinar boards are usually die-cast aluminum alloy. The Nowak board of which I showed a picture actually has more elaborate lighting-trapping than some original Sinar Norma boards I have (which have only the outer flange), however the original pattern would be even more labor-intensive to mill from solid metal. I agree with Troy that even very hard wood would probably be too weak at the thicknesses involved (and definitely difficult to work with). Mr. Nowak charges 30 Euros for a new fully finished board with a standard hole and another 30 Euros to cut non-standard holes - producing boards yourself may well not be cost-effective.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sinar board

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez
    I have a Sinar lens board I'd be happy to give any of you. It came with a lens I bought about a year ago on eBay. I have no use for it.
    Hi, Mike

I'll gladly take your sinar board, if you really don't need it. I'm in Israel, but can paypal you the postage if that's ok with you. Let me know and I'll send you my address. BTW, what size shutter is it?

GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David

I have also 7 Novak boards and the light traping is much less then on an original Sinar Board and the fitting is not so perfect like the originals but I can live with them, but still prefer the originals because they have no play like mine from Novak have. Because the Sinars have at the corners also an perfect fitting inner corner part which the Novaks not have.
    So you always pay for the Quality.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez

I'll take that board off your hands, Mike, as I am looking for one for my new camera. Let me know if it;s still available.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin