Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,204   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Crown Graphic Special

What does the "special" mean in this camera's name? Is there anyplace where I can find information on this particular model? Has anyone ever used a 65mm Super Angulon 8.0 on this camera? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    What does the "special" mean in this camera's name? Is there anyplace where I can find information on this particular model? Has anyone ever used a 65mm Super Angulon 8.0 on this camera? Thanks.
    You might start here:
    http://www.graflex.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know for sure but, the examples I've seen left me thinking there was not really any difference between the "Special" and the ordinary Crown Graphic. I may be totally wrong, but I think it was a marketing gimick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    less expensive

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone- I did check the Graflex site. On this camera, the word "Special" appears only on the lensboard that the 135mm Schneider Exenar is mounted on. The other lensboard with a Schneider SA 65mm doesn't have "Special" written on it. I did read somewhere that these Schneider lenses reduced the cost of the camera some $20.00 "back in the day" so Dan From's reply is correct, albeit a somewhat strange marketing ploy on Graflex's part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Special was indeed the bargain version of the Crown Graphic.

Twenty bucks, not all that long ago, was a lot of money.

And, not that long ago, Schneider was not the 'super premium' brand it is today. It always made good stuff, and the Xenar is fine, but the best glass was made in Rochester and it was expensive, whether it said Optar, Raptar, or Ektar.

When the 4x5 market was slowing, and costs had to be cut, lensmaking was shipped offshore, from Rochester to Germany, to Schneider and Rodenstock. Like many things, perception shapes our performance. I've seen folks literally throw out a mint Ektar and pay a premium for a Xenar... just out of ignorance.

Anybody out there know how Joseph Schneider became a lensmaker ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ha, so "Special" does not mean "special". It means "less expensive"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vysk View Post
    Ha, so "Special" does not mean "special". It means "less expensive"
    Does the same apply if your mother called you "Special"?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    I know he started out as a brewer, here in the US and went back to Germany to start the lens business.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    The Special was indeed the bargain version of the Crown Graphic.

Twenty bucks, not all that long ago, was a lot of money.

And, not that long ago, Schneider was not the 'super premium' brand it is today. It always made good stuff, and the Xenar is fine, but the best glass was made in Rochester and it was expensive, whether it said Optar, Raptar, or Ektar.

When the 4x5 market was slowing, and costs had to be cut, lensmaking was shipped offshore, from Rochester to Germany, to Schneider and Rodenstock. Like many things, perception shapes our performance. I've seen folks literally throw out a mint Ektar and pay a premium for a Xenar... just out of ignorance.

Oh boy. Now all those bargain lenses I've been buying on ebay are going to double in price when everybody finds out that old Rochester glass is better than old German glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin