Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,533   Online: 972

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    My best "groaner" is when I pulled the dark slide off the BACK film instead of the one facing the lens. Talk about "DOH!" :rolleyes:

cheers
    I haven`t done that one, yet
    Will probably happen when I shoot my first 8x10 $10-a-piece chromes....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Forget to close the aperture after focusing at f:3.5. Forget to close the shutter before inserting film. Give film 20 seconds at f:3.5 instead of 1/100 at f:16...

The horrible "scrunch" of the film falling out of the holder when you insert the dark slide is how I learned not to use 13x18cm film in 5c7" holders.

Pulling the wrong dark slide has been mentioned...

Loading film and interlef paper together - paper out.

Forget to tighten the tripod head.

Slamming the holder in so hard that the camera back shifts (I have to do this with one of the hoolders for my 18x24cm plate camera - so I aim&focus, slam the holder in, pull it out, reset camera, slam it in again, then expose. Only sometimes I forget one or more steps).

Set everything up nicely leveled and ready for a long exposure. Inset film, do everything correct, use self-timer since it's a long exposure. Just as the "whirr" turns to "click", see one tripod leg sink into the mud...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Set everything up nicely leveled and ready for a long exposure. Inset film, do everything correct, use self-timer since it's a long exposure. Just as the "whirr" turns to "click", [SIZE=3]see one tripod leg sink into the mud[/SIZE]...
    LOL - that sounds like something that "will" hapen to me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recently tried to pull a polaroid out for development and had forgotten to switch the holder. I devoloped it anyway and on the beautiful white print I wrote "you suck" with a sharpie marker. It's now a lovely reminder on my wall

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ...how about opening up the lens to compose/focus and forgetting to close it down to shoot? Yeah, I intended to overexpose with highly narrow DOF...yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking with it...

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about not marking your quick-loads "EXPOSED" and sending the wrong ones to the lab and using the exposed ones twice. Or not getting the bellows behind all of the clips and having light leaks on 10 8x10 chromes. Or waking at 3:00 AM to see a forest fire up the mountain from your house, grab your pelican 1600 case with all of your LF gear, drive four miles , set up, argue with the cops only to discover the film holders are still in the darkroom where you loaded them last night. There was no need to put them in the case tonight, I wont need them until tomorrow. Or dont bring a tripod. I cant hand hold a Toyo 45AII I discovered. Or no bug spray at the Great Salt Lake in late summer although I liked the shadows of the mosquitos IN the camera.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    My best "groaner" is when I pulled the dark slide off the BACK film instead of the one facing the lens. Talk about "DOH!" :rolleyes:

cheers
    This is my personal favorite. I like it so much, that I've done it three times. Ouch!
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    ... I cant hand hold a Toyo 45AII I discovered. ...
    That's what Technikas are for (see avatar)!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to have a sequence that I always follow, in particular I always fire the shutter a couple of times before pulling the darkslide (trying to remember to pull the right one!). This does a few things: being at the front reminds me to check the shutter speed and f-stop and that I have in fact fitted that 3-stop ND filter I was planning to use; it exercises the shutter to free it up and very importantly, it won't fire if I have forgotten to slide the preview lever over... Of course, this all falls to shreds when I am in a hurry and the light is changing...

What I do keep forgetting is to square the front and rear frames and then spend 5 minutes under the cloth wondering why I can't get a proper focus across the whole subject.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speed Graphic. Was trying out a new -- to me, anyway -- lens in Compur. The Compur is naturally suspect, so I shot wide open using the camera's focal plane shutter, down one stop with the FPS, ... , and finally stopped down to an aperture that needed a timed exposure longer than 1/30. No problem, use the Compur and pray it won't run much too slow. But I left the FPS where it had stopped after my last shot with it. Yep, closed. Yep, ouch!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin