Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,344   Online: 805

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know whether to mention the great secret of view camera shooters, back from the stone age... practise without film.

Even Edw. Weston practised.

Even Ansel set up the camera, did compositions, and executed them...without film.

I think one of the reasons many people make better pictures with 8x10 than with 35mm is that the cost of failure is sufficient to get one's attention.

Certain things help if they become habitual: zeroing the camera movements after every shot; on a monorail, setting the standards in the same place, always; thinking ahead, like classic Leica shooters: have a default exposure floating in your consciousness in case you have exactly 30 seconds and one piece of film to make your best image; strip your outfit to the bare minimum when you go shoot.

TAKE ONE LENS. Take one filter. Take 6 sheets of film. Don't bracket.

After 30 years, I keep a laminated 'cheat sheet' dangling from the tripod. Filter factors, reciprocity info., all that stuff that falls out of my head when I see a picture I want to take. I guess the point is that if I don't forget all the technical stuff, it isn't compelling enough to be a good picture.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The DOHs end when you're dead. Unless of course you intend on comming back, but I've heard images of ghosts are impossible to focus so I suspect the opposite is also true so don't bother!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz127
    The DOHs end when you're dead. Unless of course you intend on comming back, but I've heard images of ghosts are impossible to focus so I suspect the opposite is also true so don't bother!
    LOL!

My most recent DOH was after I released the shutter. Someone said hi to me (I was standing on a bridge) and then I couldn't remember whether I'd pulled the darkslide at all.

It turned out that I hadn't. Oh well, I managed to get several shots of that particular scene.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

A new DOH! for me....

A couple of weeks ago I was shooting and the meter was always showing
    a shutterspeed of 30 for the f-stop I was using. I was congratulating
    myself on the constant light, and the fact that I had set the shutterspeed
    to 30 and left it there for the past few shots, when I realized that I set the shutterspeed on my 135 lens and had changed to the 210 about 3 shots ago....had I set the shutterspeed to 30 on the 210?

Nope.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid I pulled one of the classic ones. Did it some time ago, but just found out about it today.

Went out with my plate cameras to shoot some images for the APUG Anniversary Gallery. Had five holders loaded with Fomapan 100, and five with TXT. Shot 4 Fomapan, all good (two of each scene -- insurance, first time I've done that). Exposed 2 of the Tri-X, and was proud I'd remembered to change exposure for the faster film.

Got home, into the darkroom, loading the first sheet of each pair into the developing tubes -- hey, that's odd, it almost felt like the notches were in the wrong corner of the Tri-X; had to rotate it differently to curl it emulsion in for the tube. Loading the second sheets into storage tubes so I could reload the holders -- damn, the Tri-X was in the holder backward, that one too.

Checked the other three TXT holders, they were fine. Of course, I hadn't exposed them...

I'll be posting elsewhere on methods of pushing Tri-X five stops, in hopes of getting *something* from those two sheets of TXT.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Images
    Try this one.

Drive several hours, hike for a mile. Set tripod up, get camera out of bag, put on tripod, open camera, go around back of camera notice that the GG back is NOT on the camera. Not just the GG is missing the entire freakin back. Gripe and moan all the way back to the car, drive several hours home, look everywhere for the GG back and find it in a different part of the camera bag. The place you put it to protect it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Shot my first-ever 8x10 colour transparency yesterday - used some Fuji Provia that someone gave me - never used it before. It was a "wet run" for 8x10 colour and my new (to me) Jobo CPA-2.

Setup the new/old 8x10 outside the back door. Spent some time finding a reasonable "rural scene", focusing, composing, etc.. Did a light check, set the calculator to ASA 50, set the exposure, and snapped the shot.

Ran the film thru a new batch of Agfa AP-44 in the Jobo. Looked at the transparency and thought "That looks a little thin".

Was rummaging thru the fridge to make supper and noticed the Fuji box - "Provia 100F" ???? ASA 100 ???? Hummmmmmm

Maybe I should read the labels now and then :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    ...how about opening up the lens to compose/focus and forgetting to close it down to shoot? Yeah, I intended to overexpose with highly narrow DOF...yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking with it...

Although... sometimes you can get serendipitously good images that way... I was all set up to shoot a portrait with strobes, using Polacolor 100, thought I had done everything JUST RIGHT, but never re-set the lens to working aperture from wide open. Pulled the polaroid, and when I peeled it open, had a gorgeous, 2 1/2 stop overexposed portrait with just the right depth of field. Will I ever count on that happening again? NO, but it was great to know that fate smiled on me that day.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The very recent start of my LF experience began with a DOH: I put my beautiful new 8x10 on the tripod, slid in the lensboard in which my 210 G-Claron Dagor had been lovingly mounted, aimed it out through my sliding glass door, gently removed the lens cap and stuck my head in my black tee-shit dark cloth ready to view my first ever image on LF a gg. Nothing. Completely dark gg. I pulled my head out and wondered what was wrong. I checked the aperture, wide open, checked the shutter, wide open. What did I do wrong? What was I missing? How could such a simple camera not be working!

Then it hit me! There are two lens caps on a LF lens, I had not removed the rear cap when I slid in the board!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    LOL!

I once nearly returned a used lens I bought because it was "defective" -- it was, too, until I took that second lens cap off. (It's a great sensation, having righteous indignation turn into burning shame at one's own stupidity.) Actually, when I read your story, I thought you were trying to focus with a film holder in place over the GG.....doh!
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin