Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 794

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see...

1. Pull the dark slide before tripping the shutter
    2. Close the shutter before pulling the dark slide
    3. Replace the dark slide before removing the film holder from the camera
    4. Close the bail back after you insert the film holder

There are a few more, but I can't remember...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hi Tom,

I don't have a bail on my Deardorff but the top 3 have been in my repertory for years. Kicking the tripod is another that is good for a laugh too

lee\c

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    hi Tom,

....snipped.... Kicking the tripod is another that is good for a laugh too

lee\c
    Oh - ya!! kicking the tripod...we won't talk about that one

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well I think I've pull all the doh's every one's mentioned but here are a couple more.

Got up at 3 am, Had a hearty breakfast because it’s -30 C, drove 3 hours to an abandoned water powered saw mill beside a frozen river set in a picturesque small town, red brick homes, church steeple all covered in snow the whole bit. Trudged through 3 feet of snow as the sun is come up. Thinking wow this going to be a great shot. Expose two sheets just to make sure. Spend the rest of the day going up and down the valley through the bush to get different angles. Went home tired but feeling very satisfied that there had to be a couple of good ones in the holders. The next day in the darkroom I found out that I had grabbed the wrong stack of holders. The ones I brought where the empty ones.

The other one was to forget to lock the lens board in place. It stayed in for the shot, but bounced off the concrete as soon as I picked up the camera for the next shot. Luckily the lens was ok, the lens board was chewed up pretty bad though.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can now add another one too: When doing an incident reading with a Sekonic L-558 make sure it`s actually set to do incident, not spot...
    I ended up with a Fuji Acros negative overexposed 3+ stops... I`m trying to save it with stand development in Pyrocat HD, we`ll see in an hour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did one the other day.Set the camera up, focused,closed the lens,insert film holder, look to make sure lens is closed, looking at the scene press cable release.( Panic) the shutter is not closing. DOH... I forgot to twist and secure the little knob on the cable release it somehow got loose. The only good thing about it was I also forgot to take the dark slide out. Dodged another one. Learning is lot of fun.
    Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The ONE TIME you forget to zero out previous swings and tilts will proceed your solitary sighting of Elvis being embraced by Bigfoot under the approving gaze of Nessy....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just be glad you aren't the worker who caused the power outage in LA today - that is what I call "Doh"!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315974/
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    The ONE TIME you forget to zero out previous swings and tilts will proceed your solitary sighting of Elvis being embraced by Bigfoot under the approving gaze of Nessy....
    And Nessy's other half, Ogopogo (sp?).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

you probably didn't want to do that did you?

I hiked into Marcy Dam in the Adirondacks at dusk the other night to capture the moon over the mountains and the reflection in the water (Google search images for Marcy dam to get an idea of what I was looking for). It would have been a beautiful shot except the dam had breached earlier in the summer and there was this big brown muck-heap in the middle of the pond that interfered with the middle of the reflection. I set up a shot on the wooden bridge over the dam. I used a Singh Ray soft 2 stop graduated filter to hold the sky and moon back a couple of stops. The plastic clamps on my filter holder had broken months ago so I use a clothespin to hold the filter in place. I took a b+w shot and a color transparency and think I did ok. I remove the clothespin and gravity takes over, the filter drops through the slots in the filter holder, bounces off the wood on the bridge and summersaults over the edge, followed by a little splash. I hear a quiet 'oh oh' from a camper in a group that was eating dinner on the bridge next to me, then a little louder 'you probably didn't want to do that did you?' What an understatement! It took a while but after looking in the water where I thought the filter would be I spotted the gold lettering at the top of the filter in about 3-4 feet of water. It was too cold and too late to get it that night so I hiked back in the next day at noon. Waded out in a pair of shorts, much to the amusement of an older couple who predicted correctly that the water would be pretty cold (34 degrees the night before). I waded past the location of the filter and sat on the edge of the dam to warm up. Back out to the filter resting between a rock and a submerged log, reached down, face almost in the water and after what seemed like an eternity got the filter in my fingers. I scrambled back to the dam to warm up. Then back out to dry land, congratulating myself on retrieving the filter and not falling over in the water.

If the dam had not breached the filter would have been in about 6 or 7 feet of water so I have mixed feelings about the lower water level-not so good for the picture but at least I have my filter back. It's going to be $1 million to repair the dam so it may not be fixed since it holds back water for fire fighting and there is plenty of water around. The landscape can change more rapidly than I thought. At this one spot there are slides on one of the mountains that weren't there seven years ago, the perfect reflection in the pond is gone and may never return, that 'island' in the middle will be covered with vegetation and may actually enhance future images, eventually a meadow will form and progress to forest. The landscape is dynamic and I'll have my two-stop grad filter to record what ever happens there for as long as I can walk in!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin