Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,541   Online: 951

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When will the doh`s end?

Lately I have been cursing at my 150mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W for it`s small image circle, not allowing almost any front tilt before vignetting.Not always easy to see this on the groundglass, so I ended up with a bunch of lousy negs because of this.
    I was halfway ready to buy a 150mm Sironar-S to get over this..Then it came to me, I`ve alwasy had this rubber lenshood on it, quite large actually, the type that can extend to three different lengths.. So... I pushed it a notch deeper, and my tilt was back! Doh.........
    I can`t imagine the Sironar-S can be much sharper than this little Fujinon, it`s super-sharp even wide open.

I`m still amazed by the number of mistakes it possible to do with LF, just when you though you had done them all....

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience has been that the number of potential mistakes and the number of opportunities in a given system are approximately equal. Build a system with a small number of potential mistakes (incorrectly referred to as "foolproofing", which in fact merely reminds you how resourceful fools really are), and there are a similarly small number of ways to use the system well. Build a system (like a well made large format camera) with many ways to use it well, and there will be a plethora of ways to screw up with it.

The process of reducing mistakes and increasing successful use of systems is called "learning."
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Images
    It is not DOH!!!!! it uis a learning experience and no they never end.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Front tilt eats up lens coverage faster then any other movement. The reason that this is so is that when front tilt is used the plane of the image circle becomes the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Blix, Funny story to be sure. Thanks for sharing. Isn't reassuring to know that LF offers a whole new world of exquisite opportunities to screw up? My most favored way of messing up a perfectly good sheet of LF film is to pull the darkslide while the shutter is still open....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    My most favored way of messing up a perfectly good sheet of LF film is to pull the darkslide while the shutter is still open....
    Or to open the shutter back up after the exposure before replacing the dark slide and removing the film holder

Did this once yesterday.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Or to open the shutter back up after the exposure before replacing the dark slide and removing the film holder
    Try QuickLoads - its pretty obvious when the slide it out... then again, that can be overlooked as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about forgetting to cycle a grafmatic shut before pulling it from the camera? Argh!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Front tilt eats up lens coverage faster then any other movement. The reason that this is so is that when front tilt is used the plane of the image circle becomes the hypotenuse of a right triangle.
    I have a 250mm Fujinon f/6.7 on my way, for use on both 4x5 and 8x10.
    I guess the 398mm image circle will be enough for some front tilt on my 4x5..

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Blix, Funny story to be sure. Thanks for sharing. Isn't reassuring to know that LF offers a whole new world of exquisite opportunities to screw up? My most favored way of messing up a perfectly good sheet of LF film is to pull the darkslide while the shutter is still open....
    My best "groaner" is when I pulled the dark slide off the BACK film instead of the one facing the lens. Talk about "DOH!" :rolleyes:

cheers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin