Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,595   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I bought it, Its Huge but is it any good?

Dear Large Format Gurus,

I purchased a marvelous looking lens. Marvelous to my neophyte eyes, that is but I defer to y'all. Please see link and let me know if I bought a lemon would ya?

Wollensak

Nikki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure the lens experts wil chime in soon, but in my opinion, if it covers 8x10 and the shutter works, for $45 it's a great lens...

You have an 8x10 or LF to try it on?
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hard to say, but if it's a decent copy of the Goerz double anastigmat, you may have found a good bargain. In any case, you didn't pay too much for it, so if the shutter works, and it's an interesting lens, you haven't lost anything.

It looks like it has US stops, rather than the more common f:stops that we use today. If you search for "u.s. stops" here, I think someone's posted a conversion chart.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    I'm sure the lens experts wil chime in soon, but in my opinion, if it covers 8x10 and the shutter works, for $45 it's a great lens...

You have an 8x10 or LF to try it on?
    Not yet but I have my eye on one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Hard to say, but if it's a decent copy of the Goerz double anastigmat, you may have found a good bargain. In any case, you didn't pay too much for it, so if the shutter works, and it's an interesting lens, you haven't lost anything.

It looks like it has US stops, rather than the more common f:stops that we use today. If you search for "u.s. stops" here, I think someone's posted a conversion chart.

The shutter works and the glass looks pretty good. So I am very optimistic. Now I just need to find a great deal on a beginner 8x10 camera.
    More ebay in my future I think.

Thanks for the info.

Nikki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see-get the lens, now you have an excuse to buy the camera?

Wait, that was me!

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A working lens for that price can't be bad. US (Universal System) stops double in value numerically for each smaller stop:

US4 = f8, US8 = f11, US16 = f16, US32 = f22, US64 = f32, US128 = f45, US256 = f64
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 09-07-2005 at 08:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All big old lenses are usable. Some are only usable as doorstops or letterpresses, but they are all usable.

That's what I tell myself after discovering the 500mm f:5.5 Schneider Aerotar is too big to fit on the 12x16" camera...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a suggesstion:

Take some photos with it and tell us whether or not it is a lemon. There are at least 2 issues.
    How good the lens was when released into commerce
    How good it is now that it is at least a teenager
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    Now I just need to find a great deal on a beginner 8x10 camera.
    More ebay in my future I think.
    Nikki
    Have you thought of posting a WTB (Want To Buy) here on AUPG? I did when looking for a beginner 8x10 and not only did I get a wonderful camera at a fair price, but with it came years of experience from the APUG community and a seller who sticks around after the sale to consult if needed. And if it matters to you, it mattered to me, the seller can give 3% to AUPG instead of infated fees to e-pay!
    -Bob

oh, you can also ask advice about purchases such as your lens before you buy.

---end of commercial, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin