Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,705   Online: 909

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I know that the pyro-heads think that their way is the only way. And yes, I have used pyro. Still, you can make very nice Pt/Pd prints with Tri-X & D-76. Or Rodinal, ID-11, HC 110 etc. It's really just a matter of using any combination until you really learn what it will do. This would include sticking with one paper too. Any good paper is very flexible. Contact-Azo, enlarging-Ilford MGIV-FB, Pt/Pd-Cranes cover weight natural white, etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do use pyro, but still agree with photobum that it's best to learn the old standards first before experimenting (though since I use Tri-X and ABC--which is Kodak's "D-1," one could argue that that's an older old standard than Tri-X and D-76).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with jdef. I shoot Fp-4 and develop in pyrocat-hd. If your going to contact you will eventually drift towards the "Azo-Amidol thang" as it has the range to let you do double duty with your negs with pyrocat more so than with PMK. I, like many others here cut my baby teeth on Supper-XX and HC110, andTri-X and D-76, no complaints about it.( except for not having XX anymore) You WILL try other films and developers,WILL chase the silver bullet for a while, it's part of the addiction. Enjoy the ride, I have for 35 years. I take the pyrohead comment as a compliment.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've ordered The Book of Pyro

IMHO, You'll get more milage from cheap film and common off the shelf chemicals. There'll be time for chasing those magic bullets later---start off with the basics of composition and exposure. Play with perspective control until you can do it easily with your head under the dark cloth and go from there. The path might lead you to pyro or rodinal or some alternative process or right back to d-76, but you won't get there until you take that first step. Using whats tried and true and familiar is, like KISS, a logical first step to take. It might not be the ONLY step, but it is a very GOOD step.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I foolishly miss titled this thread and like some journeys got on the road headed in one direction to find that where I want to go is better gotten to on a different road.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    IMHO, You'll get more milage from cheap film and common off the shelf chemicals.
    Yes, I do see your, and others point. But, let me try to explain where I'm coming from, and maybe where I'm going.

Like any art there are a variety of tools and perhaps more importantly, a variety of mediums though which to express yourself; I look at photography in much the same way. While is might have some utility to learn water color painting before launching into oils they really are not the same thing. I think it's easy to get hung up on looking at photography as somewhat all the same because the end product seems so similar. But it really isn't is it?

The point of my quest here is to settle on the kit of tools I am going to use to produce what I'm looking to express. I'm sure many who are following this thread are saying to themselves "jesus why doesn't this guy just get out there and start shooting!" Maybe that method has some utility, but like water color to oils, I don't feel it's the path for me.

The way I like to look at it is as a whole package; camera, lenses, film, development, printing, a process from A to B united as one. Maybe its that it suits my temperament or my view of the world; I like to see things in their entirety, little worlds with in my personal solar syatem if you will.

So yes it turns out that I titled this thread somewhat differently than I might have, but isn't that one of the purposes of a place like APUG? A get together of practicioners where we talk about what's important to each of us and perhaps in listening to others find out where we really want to go is not where we were headed when we began the conversation.

-Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think John is saying you need to learn which end of the paint brush to hold before worrying about what goes on the brush.

While I don't disagree with you that it's a whole package what are you going to do when your favorite film/paper is no longer out there? It'll happen.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    While I don't disagree with you that it's a whole package what are you going to do when your favorite film/paper is no longer out there? It'll happen.
    What will anybody do? That's like asking what will I do tomorrow;I plan on getting up and going to work, but, that may change for any number of reasons. Tomorrow will happen I'll deal with it when I get there. I don't go through life being afraid of what the future will bring.

As far as holding the paint brush goes, I dunno if you meant it that way, but it is a bit insulting. I'm 51 years old, picked up a camera at about age 10, went in the darkroom in high school and have held a paintbrush for quite some time. If you're just continuing my analogy then it still holds that totally different paint brushes are used from one medium to another. (not to mention any fool can see which is the business end of a paint brush )

Many on this thread responded quite the opposite and pointed out that I should choose a process that suits the result I want and master it, doesn't mater which process, just master it. That's what I intend to do.

-Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ah, jdef has proved my point. His way is the only way. That feeling is held by many pyro users. It's also held by many who worship at the feet of Michael Smith. Pyro, Azo and Amidol. Use anything else and your work is rank. Mr. Smith has said that Mr. Adams made "Crappy" enlargements. Seems to me someone is extremely jealous of anothers sucess.

"The advantages of a staining developer cannot be overstated". Well I think it just has been overstated. Since I have little substance and no credence no one should be offended by my view that there's a place in the photo world for simple standard developers.

I see that laz127 lives somewhere within about a hundred miles of me. Contact me with a PM and if we could get together I would show you Pt/Pd prints with D-76. Or silver enlargements or Azo contacts. Maybe the trip to Sandy Hook N.J. will come off as well as the trip to Asbury Park did. Laz, follow the NY regional section to meet up with other tri-state L/F photographers. There is nothing wrong with using pyro if that's your way of working. But it is not the one true religon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: I had trouble with JC100. The first couple of packs I bought seemed fine, and I had no trouble with testing. Then the next couple of packs just didn't seem to expose well. I couldn't get any shadow detail. I didn't change anything, not my meter or working methods or my development, and I don't know what happened.
    The last of my TMX and TMY worked fine, but I'm dropping them because of the expense.
    Now I'm using JandC 400. No trouble with testing, and none with exposure. I'm doing e.i. 200, 7 min at 70 degrees in HC110 at 1/2 of dil. E (can't think of a better way to describe it). Now I'm getting back to nice negs with an affordable film. Couldn't be happier.
    Welcome to 8X10. I'm having great luck contacting onto Adox, again from JandC Photography; I even started a thread on this. Dean
    dphphoto

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin