Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,205   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Changing bag for 8x10

What size do you need to load 8x10 holders?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get away with a 36"x43" bag...I got it online but couldn't tell you from which retailer. It works, but it's not the most comfortable solution.

Depending on your budget, you might look into a Harrison changing tent. I'm sure they're much more comfortable than the changing bag.

The biggest problem with the bag is that you have to either put something inside to hold the top up, or put up with the fabric from the bag getting in your way. It's not only frustrating, but as you begin to sweat in there (and you will), the fabric gets wet and then you have to be extra cautious not to get the wet fabric against your film.

If you do buy the bag, I suggest buying some pvc pipe and connectors and building yourself a frame for inside of the bag that will hold the top up. Much easier to work in than an unsupported bag.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photoflex Changing Room.

They pop up on eBay once in a while, but the bids often go higher than what you'd pay for a new one from B&H (around 80 bucks, if I recall).
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tried my changing bag for the first time with 8X10 last weekend. I'm gettin a tent, it was a royal PITA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Harrison 8x10 tent and its great. Perfect for 4x5 with tons of room. Slightly tight for me for 8x10, but I like to spread everything out. Even though its a bit tight for me it still works well.

Also I have the very big Jobo 3005 8x10 tank and i can get holders and that monster in the tent with enough room to load it and get the top on.

The only thing I dont like about it is the separate tent poles. I would rather have one that had an integral loop frame, but still I like it enough I would buy another one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Could you provide the rough dimensions of your Harrison 8x10 tent? I have a Calumet pop-up tent that works great for 4x5 and medium format. But using it one time with 8x10 holders and my jobo 3005 drum sent me back to my closet at night to load the drum. It was just too frustrating!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its roughly 36 x 26 x 13 high (center).

I put my holders towards the front left stacked, to be unloaded towards the right. The tank is behind that in the left back corner and slightly angled towards the front laying flat. The film comes out the right side of the holders and the 3005 openings are towards the right, so its fairly easy. The empty holders I put off towards the right back corner.

With the 3010 4x5 tank I can stand it up when finished and I can usually get the top on perfectly straight. I have to put the top on the 3005 from the side so i always have to straighten it out when I remove it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the info. The method I tried was very similar to your procedure. The Calumet tent is a little less than 24 wide, so with the length of the 8x10 holder and the film coming out it makes it very awkward to get the film out of the holder. You have to bend the film up as it comes out. It works OK for loading my 5x7 holders, but with the Jobo drum in the tent as well it gets a little tight for loading the drum.

How much of a pain is assembly of the Harrison tent? Does it store easily? The Calumet tent is self erecting and collapses on itself for easy storage. My "closet at night" method works fine - if I remember to do it.... Most of the time I find myself with some unexpected free time during the weekend and no film in my holders! I wish I had a darkroom setup - but I have to make due with what I have for the time being.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HPorter
    Thanks for the info. The method I tried was very similar to your procedure. The Calumet tent is a little less than 24 wide, so with the length of the 8x10 holder and the film coming out it makes it very awkward to get the film out of the holder. You have to bend the film up as it comes out. It works OK for loading my 5x7 holders, but with the Jobo drum in the tent as well it gets a little tight for loading the drum.

How much of a pain is assembly of the Harrison tent? Does it store easily? The Calumet tent is self erecting and collapses on itself for easy storage. My "closet at night" method works fine - if I remember to do it.... Most of the time I find myself with some unexpected free time during the weekend and no film in my holders! I wish I had a darkroom setup - but I have to make due with what I have for the time being.
    Gees, what a pain.

Its easy to set up. The tent poles are bungied together. Its small when rolled.

I've got a changing bag labelled Panavision used for changing movie camera film---its HUGE more than enough room for 8x10---probably works for the 12x20 but I haven't tried it yet. It might work as a sleeping bag if you're under 5' tall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin