Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,819   Online: 745

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Rodenstock Sironar-N mounting and shutter problem

I just bought a used Rodenstock Sironar-N 210mm lens for my Graphic Veiw II. I mounted it to the lens board and it will not sit flat against the board due to a set screw on the back of the shutter, a copal 1. The lens rocks ever so slightly. This screw protrudes about 1mm. The GVII lens board is 3mm thick and the hole is 43mm which seem to meet the lens' requirement from the Rodenstock web page. Am I missing a flange of some sort?
    Also the shutter does not seem to be firing at the correct speeds all of the time. Is this related to the scew?
    Thanks for any help on this problem.
    Best regards,
    James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmelas
    I just bought a used Rodenstock Sironar-N 210mm lens for my Graphic Veiw II. I mounted it to the lens board and it will not sit flat against the board due to a set screw on the back of the shutter, a copal 1. The lens rocks ever so slightly. This screw protrudes about 1mm.
    Remove the screw (check out the comments on shutter and lens mounting on the Steve Grimes website (APUG Sponsor))

The GVII lens board is 3mm thick and the hole is 43mm which seem to meet the lens' requirement from the Rodenstock web page. Am I missing a flange of some sort?
    You need either a flange or a jam nut to mount your lens/shutter to the board. Again, check out the comments on shutter and lens mounting on the Steve Grimes website.

Also the shutter does not seem to be firing at the correct speeds all of the time. Is this related to the screw?
    This has nothing to do with the screw. Your shutter needs Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment (CLA) and may also need repair. Carol Flutot (APUG member) and Steve Grimes provide these services.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The purpose of the little set screw is to hold the shutter from rotating in the lens board. If you bore a tiny matching hole in the lens board 1mm deep for that set screw to fall in the shutter isn't dependent on the jamb nut to hold it from rotating. Lots of folks consider them a nuisance and just remove them though. The speed thing unfortunately like Tom said, isn't related.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks to you both for the quick responses. Darn!@#$$% And I wanted to get shooting. Well, off for cleaning....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    The purpose of the little set screw is to hold the shutter from rotating in the lens board. If you bore a tiny matching hole in the lens board 1mm deep for that set screw to fall in the shutter isn't dependent on the jamb nut to hold it from rotating. Lots of folks consider them a nuisance and just remove them though. The speed thing unfortunately like Tom said, isn't related.
    Jim:

Does that imply that you use the screw? If so, I also like to use the pin (screw if you want) as well, but most of my shutters already have them removed! Where can I get these screws? Also, is there an easy way to locate the hole more exactly than just doing it by eye?

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MikeS
    6" machinists scale?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The little hole for the screw needs to be right at the edge of large hole that is drilled in the lens board to accept the lens/shutter assembly. The clock position of this little hole is arbitrary - determined by how you want the lens/shutter assembly oriented. If you send a lens or a lens flange to SK Grimes for mounting, they will ask you to mark your preferred 0 degree orientation of the lens-shutter-flange with a piece of tape.

I would expect that SK Grimes has a supply of these little stop screws - if they keep the ones they remove from new shutters.

I used to drill my lens boards for these little stop screws - but I no longer do this. I find it to be a no value added PITA.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I used to drill my lens boards for these little stop screws - but I no longer do this. I find it to be a no value added PITA.
    I had never seen one until I tried mounting a new old lens - that I'd put in another new old shutter. I hadn't used that shutter before, since it had a dead Angulon in it (missing lens element). To my surprise it had the screw intact. To my irritation I couldn't remove it - it's stuck! So now I'll have to make a very small dent in a lensboard...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin