Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,481   Online: 866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The lock rib on a filmholder does two things--it forms a light trap with the groove on the camera back, and it prevents the holder from slipping out of the back when the darkslide is removed. If you shoot mostly indoors and don't tend to have a lot of light falling in the back and don't do very long exposures, you may not notice a light leak, and if you've got a fairly tight back, then, you might not have to worry about the holder slipping out, but I still wouldn't deal with these things even if they were free.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a little JB Weld, some plastic wrap, and a few hours, you could put ridges on your holders.

Use plastic wrap to line the slot in the camera back (carefully -- don't want the JB Weld making the holder a permanent attachment), fill the slot with freshly mixed JB Weld, and put the holder in place (carefully -- you want to lay it into the epoxy, not slide it over). Let the stuff cure, pull the holder out, peel the plastic off the JB Weld, and repeat as necessary.

The bad news is, with JB Weld, this will take one night per ridge applied. JB Qwik is similar, not quite as strong, and much faster; there are also epoxy putties that could be applied, pulled off almost as soon as the holder's been seated, and left to harden with the ridge side up; that would mean only two nights to do all the holders you have.

Of course, whether this is worth trying depends on your overall mechanical aptitude (gluing a holder to the camera with JB Weld would be VERY, VERY BAD), your budget, and your sense of whether it's better to fix stuff like this or destroy it so it can't prey on anyone else...

Depending what the holders are made of, it might be possible to do this much more quickly using plastic strip stock (Plastruct makes extruded strip in polystyrene and ABS in a huge variety of sizes and shapes, and it's fairly cheap) and super glue or solvent cement.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update:

I've talked with Dave Riddle several times. He said he's sold a couple thousand and "you're the first one to mention this". (!)

Also said to try them and if I didn't like them to return them for a refund. No mention of 48 hours.

He also said he'd try to find out why there is no ridge.

The other thing that first jumped out at me is these are a pop-rivet construction. There are 2 rivets along each 5 inch side. While they are recessed it kind of bothers me that on a sunny day light MIGHT be able to bounce off the shiny surface of the rivets and fog the film. If I kept the holders I was going to fill the rivet recess with something like black fingernail polish.

All in all, I think I'll return them unused. (Sigh!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Maybe I CAN return the 6 (3 two-packs) that I have if he's allowing you to. These film holders are a miniscule part of Riddle's business- he's into high end professional radio and tv studio equipment. I've had mine on the shelf for about 6 months. But if Mr. Riddle is selling thousands of these holders without complaint or question from other LFers, I guess he won't mind taking back a few from us APUGers.

It's too bad though, these were the first "brand-new-never-used" film holders I had ever purchased! My used holders may not be pretty, but at least they have a ridge!
    Last edited by Changeling1; 09-25-2005 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: *
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would some strips of hardwood (model shop) and some epoxy or superglue do the job? Of course, they may have other "features" not as obvious and once you do that, no chance of a refund!

Cheers, Bob.

Arrgh Matey! It be a sorry design...uh, well its not International Talk Like A Pirate Day anymore, so---

Hey, IMHO its not a good design & not worth spending your money or risking your film on. The idea of doing "ridge implants" might sound fun, and if they were good holders in the first place it may well be worth your time and effort to keep them usable, but they aren't.

You'll end up with enough worthless junk if you're an ebay addict (like I am) so return the holders if you have the opportunity.

My 2-cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin