Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,334   Online: 1208

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

weird looking 4x5 film holders

I just received a shipment of two brand new 4x5 sheet film holders made by Tiltall. Bought them on eBay from Dave Riddle Company.

There is something weird about them - there is no ridge across the holders!

In my experience, there always has been a ridge which drops into a slot on the back of the LF camera. This does two things: it lets the photographer know the sheet film holder is in the correct position and then keeps it in place when the dark slide is withdrawn.

Has anyone else any experience with sheet film holders like these?

Thanks.

Terry Thomas
    Atlanta, Georgia USA

See my recent stills from the set of the upcoming feature film "Psychopathia Sexualis" here: www.psychopathia.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you search the web you'll find information on these. I was tempted to buy some once, but a quick Google search steered me away.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Since its going to be International Talk LIke A Pirate Day soon, I can only respond with:

Ahoy! Them thar tiltall dooble dirks be as sea werthy as a pair o' two dollar swap meet speedos. Arrrgh! They be about as useful as Nike sneakers on a mermaid! Arrrgh! Get yer booty back from them thar scallawags fer Ye sure won't be wantin' to hoist them thar holders into yer camera's poop deck iffen Ye be knowin' whats good for Ye---Arrrggggh!

OTOH maybe they'd work as picture frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    Since its going to be International Talk LIke A Pirate Day soon, I can only respond with:

Ahoy! Them thar tiltall dooble dirks be as sea werthy as a pair o' two dollar swap meet speedos. Arrrgh! They be about as useful as Nike sneakers on a mermaid! Arrrgh! Get yer booty back from them thar scallawags fer Ye sure won't be wantin' to hoist them thar holders into yer camera's poop deck iffen Ye be knowin' whats good for Ye---Arrrggggh!

OTOH maybe they'd work as picture frames.
    Aye! Soon enough 'twill be Monday the 19th! 'Twas like only yesterday when we swilled the grog and danc'd on the quarter deck to the hornpipers tunes...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have yet to hear any good explanation as to why those Tiltall holders exist. Either they were made for some very particular piece of equipment, or it's just a major manufacturing blunder. Really the only thing to do with them, ye maties, is put 'em in the scupper with a hose-pipe on 'em, early in the morning, arrrrrr (whatever the hell that means).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have one use for bad, worn, broken or defective film holders. Cut a print to fit in the film slot and they make cool frames. I joked with one guy he could put his wife in one side and his girlfriend in the other and use the darkslide on the back to block one or the other. His wife is still not speaking to me.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    His wife is still not speaking to me.
    And the only reason *he* is, is because she's not speaking to him, either?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ad on eBay states that they have a toll free support line. I can just hear the calls "what the %&*&#$ am I supposed to do with these?" Hopefully they won't tell you to...er...walk the plank. Damn, that was actually a little bit painful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a pair of these, and until I saw this thread I didn't know I had a problem. So I did google for them, and only came up with a photo.net thread about a loose middle plate and the missing ridge. They obviously aren't quite as well-designed as Fidelity/Lisco, but I can't get the middle plate to budge when I pull or push on it, and in the year or two that I've had them I've never had a negative ruined by a light leak with my Graphic View II. Perhaps they don't work for the majority of users (?) but I've never had a problem with mine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A well established camera store here in Hollywood was selling the two-holder set for $9.99 last year as a "close-out-item".
    The eBay seller has thousands of them- a limitless supply or so he told me. I am stuck with SIX (three two-packs) of these brand new holders which I haven't bothered to use in light of what others are saying. I wish I'd noticed the missing ridge on the holders sooner. You have only 48 hrs. to return items to the ebay seller. I do, however, like the picture frame idea for all those photos that only warrant being displayed in small, cheap, plastic and yes, even odoriferous, frames! (The holders smell strongly like methane and roofing tar). VERY weird eBay item!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin