Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,725   Online: 748

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Images

Any info on 4x10

I am looking for any info on shooting 4x10. I read the 4x10 stuff on LF.info but want to hear from actual users.

I am looking for pros and cons of the format from users. I will be contact printing these.

The reason I am looking to this format is I do not like the almost square look of 4x5 or 8x10, I love the pano formats, I have come to really like intimate (read smallish) contact prints, and there is no way I could afford to go to 5x12/7x17. It will happen in the future but not right now.

Thanks for the input
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, if you already have a 4x5 camera with graflok back then you might want to look at a 6x17 back for it. This would give you a ~2.3x6.7" contact print which fits in with the small/intimate look. Also, this would give you a good, cheaper intro into panoramic photography with only having to buy one thing (the back) as opposed to an entire camera setup and film holders and film, etc. Having been tugged into the panoramic frame starting with an Ansco Pix Panorama, then a Horizon 202, and poring over Matt's 7x17" images one of the Da-Yi or Shen-Hao 6x17cm backs looks like a very good place to start. If you find you don't like it you could easily sell it here on Apug or on eBay for what you paid for it.

edit: www.focus-dayi.com for more info from the maker of one version of this back
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

The present issue of VIEW CAMERA has a section on 4x10 format but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Mark, if you already have a 4x5 camera with graflok back then you might want to look at a 6x17 back for it. This would give you a ~2.3x6.7" contact print which fits in with the small/intimate look. Also, this would give you a good, cheaper intro into panoramic photography with only having to buy one thing (the back) as opposed to an entire camera setup and film holders and film, etc. Having been tugged into the panoramic frame starting with an Ansco Pix Panorama, then a Horizon 202, and poring over Matt's 7x17" images one of the Da-Yi or Shen-Hao 6x17cm backs looks like a very good place to start. If you find you don't like it you could easily sell it here on Apug or on eBay for what you paid for it.

edit: www.focus-dayi.com for more info from the maker of one version of this back
    I've got everything I need to modify a camera except bellows, film back and and film holders. Getting these will be not a problem as I think I can make two of the three myself for a lot less than buying them. I made and contacted 6x17cm panos with my 5x7 and they did not do it for me I wanted them just a little bigger. I am looking into them for color though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you have an 8X10 camera, you could get into 4X10 very inexpensively if you cut an 8X10 dark slide in half length wise (excluding the handle). This cut down darkslide would only be used as a mask at time of exposure. It would then be flipped over to make the second exposure. By masking your ground glass (a simple pencil line would suffice) you could compose and get two exposures per sheet of 8X10 film.

This way you could determine how well the 4X10 format works for you.

I agree with your thoughts about the squarish look of 4X5 and 8X10.

If you want to achieve the "golden mean" perspective of 12X20 or 7X11 you could even cut the dark slide to 6.125X10. That would mean wasting a little bit of film...but it would take a lot of exposures with that amount of wasted film to arrive at the cost of a 4X10 camera or 4X10 back.

Paul Strand was reported to have done this with his 5X7 camera.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scott k
    Mark,

The present issue of VIEW CAMERA has a section on 4x10 format but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
    Crap. Wouldn't ya know it. I am no where near a place to buy it, and I don't subscribe, plus there are no lF photogs anywhere near me who get it either. I'll have to figure it out how to check it out. Thanks for the point.

Images
    Donald,

You are right I could make a split darkslide which I have done with my 5x7 but found that processing was a real pain. If I had a situation where I needed to +2 on one half I invariably needed a N or +1 on the other half.

I am not looking for the golden mean. I want to get as close to the aspect of a movie screen. It would take a lot of film to = the cost of a dedicated camera or back. SO I may just do this and not modify my beater 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark,

You've got a valid point on the variance in processing that one would encounter.

I am seriously considering the split darkslide for my own use and hadn't gotten that far in my thinking. I think that what I will do in that case is to cut the film before developing (just need to fashion a stop on my rotary trimmer so that one could do it in the dark)...makes things a bit more difficult but not impossible.

The other thing that I see is that it would require identifying each sheet of film with an "a" and 'b' designation.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've sent a PM to a fellow here who I know shoots 4x10 in case he doesn't see this thread.
    Diane

Halak 41

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott k
    Mark,

Crap. Wouldn't ya know it. I am no where near a place to buy it, and I don't subscribe, plus there are no lF photogs anywhere near me who get it either. I'll have to figure it out how to check it out. Thanks for the point.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>

You could start a subscription and we will send the Sept/Oct issue

steve simmons

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin