Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,611   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Sometimes a great notion, (LF backpack part CDXXVII)

I've been searching for a backpack that might hold my 8x10 Korona. I did a search of the APUG archives and read every post on the subject since the beginning of time. I've googled the hell out of the subject. As an experienced backpacker I am very picky and at every turn my hiker gear-head self came up against my camera gear-head self.
    So, In what seemed like it was becoming a never-ending quest, today I headed down to B&H on my lunch hour to look and get some hands on with packs. I discovered/confirmed the following:

1)Backpacks remotely capable of hold an 8x10 and a minimum amount of lenses, film holder etc. are rare.
    2) They cost a ridiculous amount of $$$
    3) They are stupidly heavy.
    4) They do not lend themselves, however big, to anything but day hiking.

In addition I already own 2 very fine state-of-the-art backpacks.

As I walked back to the subway I was thinking of the nifty film holder bag that arrived yesterday from Matt B. (see http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19384 )and it hit me, I would buy one of those cheap soft coolers and use it to hold my 8x10. It could then easily be slipped inside my BP with any excess crumpling for added padding. In the field I could pull it out and have a ready made waterproof surface to work on set-up etc.

I stopped in a drug store and picked one up for $7.99 I'm going to try it out tonight. I'll report back.

-Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is exactly what I use and it works well. I have several sizes, including one that is big enough for 8x10. i also have a small one I use for MF and a mid size for 4x5.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ammons
    That is exactly what I use and it works well. I have several sizes, including one that is big enough for 8x10. i also have a small one I use for MF and a mid size for 4x5.
    Mine has Budwiser written all over it, what's yours got?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same problem looking for a wearable pack that would hold my 4x5 and medium format kit. I found an Art Wolfe large backpack for $50 new. It's huge and comes with 2 padded cases not dividers, i made my own with gatorfoam and headliner fabric. They don't have any more but i saw one go for $30 on ebay. Good adjustable harness system and internal frame.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    I found an Art Wolfe large backpack for $50 new. It's huge and comes with 2 padded cases not dividers, i made my own with gatorfoam and headliner fabric. They don't have any more but i saw one go for $30 on ebay. Good adjustable harness system and internal frame.
    In my search of the APUG archives I came across your post regarding the Art Wolf and jumped into Google action. Sundog had made the pack, but they've gone belly up (which is probably why you got that great deal)

I guess a big issue for me that only other serious hikers would have is the whole issue of buying another backpack when I have so much already invested in a good state-of-the-art backpack. I'm sure the Art Wolfe has a very good frame and harness, but my Osprey is perfectly fitted to me and it cost mucho $$$.

All that being said, I'll give you $50 for your Art Wolfe!

-Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to have the Zone VI white camera case for my 4x5. I found that it fit perfectly in the top section of my external frame backpack. I had plenty of room for other camping gear in the other compartments, too. I could carry this 4x5 and Bogen tripod all over the place.

I do have e f64 backpacks exclsuively for my camera gear and I like them a lot. I am sure I'm not as demanding about backpacks as you are, but I do think they carry a load well. I am especially thankful for the kidney belts, nice snug fit, external pouches and roomy interiors.

-Mike

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been playing around with my backpack and cheapo soft cooler and I'm sold on using soft coolers as a camera bag to slip in my backpack. I really like the fact that I can unload my camera and place it on the ground safe in the cooler bag while I set up. When the camera is up on the tripod I'll have the bag to use to hold lenses or drop in my spot meter and what not while I shoot. I looked around the web and found this:

http://www.ems.com/products/product_...82574488340369

Mountainsmith is a good company and the specs on this cooler are almost a custom fit for my 8x10 Korona. You can't beat the $20 price tag! I've also found cheap "lunch bag" sized coolers that will be perfect for holding lenses.

I'm a happy camper!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check out some of the backpacks at cheaperthandirt.com. They have military surplus, or new built to military specs. I bought a pack that was built very nice. It was out of order when I bought it. They notified me in a week when they had a bunch that sold out in a couple days. It is a front loading pack not a top loading one.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...37LT6E708X3UH1

These look nice also;
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...37LT6E708X3UH1

I made my own dividers with foam core board coverd with some very wide pvc tape that sticks like you wouldn't believe and is vey thick. I bought that from mcmaster.com. I then covered that with a nice cloth. It fits my 4x5 set up with lenses and 2 boxes of readyloads just fine. It carries well, but maybe a little heavey for long hikes, like an 8 hour hike. For that I would suggest an alice pack setup.
    Regards,
    Dan

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djolicoeur
    Check out some of the backpacks at cheaperthandirt.com.
    Wow, thanks for the tip. Those are excellent prices and worth considering for sure.

Unfortunatly both of the packs you linked are unavailable at this time, did a bunch of you APUGers go on a buying spree?

-Bob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can have them notify you when they get more in , or place a back order. Both times I have done it they came in within a week. Although it says up to 30 days on there site.

The large Alice packs would be nice for an 8x10. The Alice packs are what the military uses, and some of the best pack systems when you buy the frame also.
    Regards,
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin