Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,414   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

what desiccant for storing lenses?

I am in between cameras at the moment, which means that I have to store my lenses until March or April (when my Wehman will be ready ). They've been sitting on the table in my basement darkroom for the past couple of weeks. The humidity has been running around 75% down there all summer. I'm thinking I should store them in a sealed container with some sort of desiccant. I don't want the funk to start growing. What sort of desiccant should I use for this, and where can I get it? Are the little packets of silica gel good enough, or is there something better?

That brings up another question. Is it safe to store film down there with such high humidity levels? I use neg sleeves in a binder.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a jug of that kitty litter. Don't know how well it's working but that's what I'm using.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, here is a link to a company that sells desiccants

http://www.drierite.com

Many labs use this product. The best thing about it is that it can be regenerated and re-used endlessly.
    -Bob

A source for less than a case full!

http://www.al-chymist.com/site/57934...uct/D000030-lb
    Last edited by laz127; 09-21-2005 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added retail source

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bob,

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a long time!
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Instant coffee crystals---that way you can develop your film iin it afterwards! Stick it (the instant coffee) in a empy Bull Durham bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    White rice. (Uncooked, of course.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always used the silica packs, when storing stuff, even did this when I lived in Hawaii, where the heat and humidity is always high, never had a problem at all.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used silica gel packets from shoe stores. Usually if you ask nice enough, they'll give you as many as you need.

How are you all storing lenses? In sealed zip-lock bags with dessicant?
    I thought that lenses needed air exchange?

I guess i'm just afraid that i've been storing my lenses incorrectly.

Also, I remember reading about a photographer in Malasia or Thailand..
    He stored his lenses and cameras wrapped up in newspaper and placed in a 5-gallon paint bucket in his closet. A shop light with a 60watt lamp hung about a foot away from the bucket. Apparently he never experienced fungus or moisture-related problems..

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I have always used the silica packs, when storing stuff
    The disadvantage of silica packs is that unless you change them regularly they lose their effectivness and you'll never know.

I thought that lenses needed air exchange?
    I would think that this advice has the same intention as a dessicant; Desiccant must be used in some container at least somewhat air tight otherwise the first humid day will saturate it rendering it useless. But I'm no expert, maybe an APUGer more expert in the care and feeding of lenses will chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Laz127, I rejuvinate my packs regularly and keep many of them around to change out on schedule, the silica can be rejuvinated as well..

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin