Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 844

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBriggs
    Since photomc's Ilex shutter lacks an iris, I think he is seeking to front mount a barrel lens, so that he can continue to use the original iris of the barrel lens. So hearing about lens cells that were designed to mount front and back of the shutter in the usual configuration won't help him.
    It gives him an Idea of what diameter will fit in the shutter, that is why I put the mm size in my message, less machining cost less money.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Guys, Thanks for All the input...do hope to find something that will fit in front of the shutter, but it does help know what size is. Was hoping some might have the same shutter with a lens already mounted to give me an idea.

Also, can anyone offer if you have used a front mounted lens like this? Curious what problems to look for (like maybe a little cut off etc.)...would think that a very large or heavy lens would not be that good an idea.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Hey Guys, Thanks for All the input...do hope to find something that will fit in front of the shutter, but it does help know what size is. Was hoping some might have the same shutter with a lens already mounted to give me an idea.

Also, can anyone offer if you have used a front mounted lens like this? Curious what problems to look for (like maybe a little cut off etc.)...would think that a very large or heavy lens would not be that good an idea.
    I shoot a number of process lenses mounted in front of a Copal #1 on my 2x3 Graphics. One shutter, lotsa adapters. I contemplated using an Ilex #3 instead a Copal #1, but a #3 Acme or Universal brought to good order cost more than a decent ex-MP4 #1 Press ... And even a #1 Copal Press has, reliably, a higher top speed than an Ilex; this matters for shooting with flash out-of-doors.

About vignetting. By similar triangles, if (inner diameter of the rear of the shutter's tube)/(distance from lens' exit pupil to rear of shutter's tube) > (gate's diagonal)/(distance from lens' exit pupil to film plane) the lens won't vignette if used with no movements. BUT since the rear of the shutter's tube blocks the outer parts of the cone of light that the lens projects, depending on the lens' focal length etc. movements may be restricted considerably. Not a problem for me, my little Graphics have, practically speaking, no movements.

To get an idea of what can be done, see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/17595-two-short-cameras-one-long-camera.html I get no vignetting with my 480 Apo Nikkor.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin