Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,813   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Multi Format

4X5 Linhof Kardan Super Color vs. Color 45s and similar

How would you compare these cameras to each other ?
    Researching into a kind of "luggable" monorail I became pretty familiar with Color 45s (at least virtually - though online opinions, pictures and reviews), but what about Kardan Super Color ?
    Can this one also be manageable for lugging during short distance tracking ?
    (Say up to 1-few miles off the car).
    What are advatnages/disadvatnages of the latter against 45s ?
    I noticed the Kardan Super Color usually drives a bit higher prices (sometimes almost twice as much) then 45s, what makes it so ?
    Also, will be grateful if someone could point me to the pictures of Kardan Soper Color in folded and working positions.

Regards, Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might try posting this sort of question on the Q&A forum at lfphoto.info, and Bob Salomon, the US Linhof rep will usually come in with an answer. You might also consider purchasing a copy of _The Linhof Camera Story_, which gives a history of most Linhof models. You can order it directly from Linhof through their website at www.linhof.de.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks David, I did.
    Just hoped there will be actual users of Kardan Super Color or even both to provide a kind of comparative analysis...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, I have the Kardan Super Color ST which uses the technika boards. There is also an ST/E I think it is which has larger boards. The one I have has a fixed bellows (although I've modified it so I can use Bag bellows as well) whereas the ST/E has very nice clips (best system I've seen) for attaching both bellows and lens boards. The ST/E goes for a higher price and is a nicer looking monorail however the ST is just as usable. The rail and swing, shift etc are still the same, but the tilt is slightly different. My rail is about 470mm long so it's quite long. As yet I havent been hiking with it (haven't had it long) but that is one major application I'll use it for. At the moment I have it in a small trolley case. I cut a hole in the top for the rail to stick out (and will create a cover for it) and the standards sit flat along the axis of the rail. There's plenty of room for lenses, polaroid backs, light meters etc in the case and I keep the bellows in the front pocket. The case is approx. 450 x 300 x 180mm. Yet to decide how to take it hiking.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi Philip,
    I need to learn from you how to modify the Super Color ST to use bag bellow.
    My email : drbcng@gmail.com
    Thank you
    Boon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use the ST-E. The top part of rail is identical to the super-color, but the bottom part of a ST-E fits "straight" in to my Arca-Swiss clamp. The front has 162mm square panel with reducer for my normal lenses, while all the big lenses, up to Ilex #5 and balopticon optics, fit the bigger panel. I have added bag bellows, 60-80cm rail, and standard and bag bellows for my 8x10 back, a bit on the heavy side compared to my 8x10 bender, but more on the sturdy side. To avoid the wagging, I either use a monopod or the Manfrotto long lens support. I still need to adjust a used plastic suitcase to the 8x10. For 4x5 I mostly use my Chamonix

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin