Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,970   Online: 923

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats Dennis....it is indeed great fun.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks folks...

The negs have dried, and I did the scannng this morning. Still fumbling with the scanner settings - I don't think I am managing to get the maximum from the negative being scanned.
    BTW, I don't have a 4x5 enlarger, so for the time being, it's scans only

Still, the results are OK, being just simple tests (of exposure, camera handling, and most of all - development).

What I find most rewarding is that my development system in the small JOBO tank on a JOBO rotary processor succeeded! I thought the negs (there were 2 inside) would slip and scratch during rotation...

Attached are quick illustrations of the system I used - perhaps this info would be interesting to other beginners. It's just JOBO 2523 tank/drum, with 3 spacers attached to the inside ridges, keeping the 2 negs fastened.
    However, this allows you development of 2 sheets max. When I get the proper JOBO 4x5 reel, it will take 6 sheets max, AFAIK.

Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drum1.JPG   Drum2.JPG   Drum-spacers.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And here's the scanned result.
    The negs are perhaps a bit too thin, even for scanning, and seem to lack contrast. Next time I'll do the usual 1+50 dilution, instead of 1+60 which I used here.
    Forgive the absolutely banal shot, but it's the first stationary object I could find

The technicalities could be better, from development to scanning - but I was satisfied to see that there are no scratches, and no dust to speak of (which was a major concern, given the messy darkroom, and the fact that this was the first time I loaded a 4x5 film holder )

BTW, if you take a better look, you can see the holder identification number in lower right corner - see my post a few days ago, about identifying film holders ("notching film holders" thread)

Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01-sm.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're off to a fine start.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Denis, congratulations!! That photo is not bad at all for your first try! I hope I'll be as fortunate! I am still waiting for my first LF camera to get here. I'm very nervous, but your post has been an inspiration.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I absolutely agree with Macy.
    I'm also looking forward to try LF within the next months and after reading your thread I can hardly await (I'm not sure if this phrase really exists in english ... I just hope it does) it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dennis, now that you have the negatives...you don't have to scan or even enlarge. You might try just doing some contact prints. Would be surprised how many actually prefer a nice small contact print. Member Jeremy Moore, does some very nice 3.25x4.25 contacts (plt/pld) that are really wonderfull. You could also do the same thing with AZO or silver paper.

Enjoy, but be ware....my sig line is not just a cute little saying...this time last year I was shooting 4x5 (still do), but now have added 5x7 and 8x10 because the 4x5 negs got to looking small to me.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, what about AZO paper. I read about it and must say it sounds really good. Who uses it here. I would like to do contacts with 4x5 and Azo sounds really nice.. What are the pro's and cons?

grt. Onno

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc

Enjoy, but be ware....my sig line is not just a cute little saying...this time last year I was shooting 4x5 (still do), but now have added 5x7 and 8x10 because the 4x5 negs got to looking small to me.
    This is EVIL and ADDICTIVE! But this is True.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No fair! I sell you my little Jobo tank and I am still not able to get good negs with the big tank and two of the reels.

I am thinking that it is due to improper agitation, so I am starting to work on that.

I am glad to see that you are getting such nice negs from your setup. Where does one get those little spacer thingies? I might even try them next.

Paul.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin