Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 822

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

super symmar 110 XL for macro work?

I have a Sinar F2 camera with a 300 and a 180 mm lens that I use mainly for landscape work.
    Now, I want to buy a third lens and I'm interested also in doing some macro work in adition.
    I'm thinking in a Super Symmar 110 XL, but I wanted to know your opinion about it, especially if it's adequate for macro or if it's better to adquire 2 lenses, one for landscape and another one especifically for macro.
    Thanks for your time,
    Josep

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are going to be using the lens stopped bown to 32 or smaller then I doubt that you will be seeing much difference between a regular and a macro lens. The closer a lens is to being symetrical the better it will function in the close up range. If a lens is truly symetrical with a center location for the diaphram then you have a lens that will work best at 1:1. Many of these lenses will also work very nicely indeed at long distances.

I think that you will enjoy having the 110mm Symmar XL. I would see if I could borrow a macro llens and try them side by side for close up work to see if it made sense to buy a macro lens.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice idea, but unfortunately, I can't tell you about shooting macro with this lens. The 110 XL is a sweet lens, 288mm image circle, and very sharp. You probably will need the center filter for it (about $325). I debated between buying the 110 XL and the 80 XL (which I eventually bought). Still thinking about buying one. This lens performs great when you need a bit of front rise. I may get one myself next year.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 110XL works great as a macro lens
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee use these for 8x10. I recall him saying that they could get close to 8x size with this lens. So it definitely works for Macro. Hopefully someone will correct me if I misunderstood.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Whether the 110 is what you want for landscapes is pretty dependent upon how you shoot. If you're comfortable with a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera or a 55mm on a med. fmt. camera, the 110 will be fine. I tested the 110 and a 90mm SAXL when I was looking at wide lenses for my F2, and almost bought the 110. It's a beautiful lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Whether the 110 is what you want for landscapes is pretty dependent upon how you shoot. If you're comfortable with a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera or a 55mm on a med. fmt. camera, the 110 will be fine. I tested the 110 and a 90mm SAXL when I was looking at wide lenses for my F2, and almost bought the 110. It's a beautiful lens!
    The 110XL is an extreme wide angle lens on the 8x10 format (the format diagonal is ~325.3 mm).

My 110XL does cover 8x10 at infinity (stopped way down).

On the 8x10 format, the 110XL is the rough equivalent of a 14 to 15 mm wide angle on a 35mm camera or a 28 mm lens on a 6x6 camera.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin