Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Friendly LF suggestion #132

So, if you use Post-it notes to keep track of exposures, remember to remove them before inserting the filmholder in the camera, or they will get caught on the light trap as the darkslide is removed from the holder, leaving the mysterious shadow of a Post-it note on the negative. Fortunately, this problem may be quickly diagnosed before another sheet is ruined by checking the filmholder after removing the film, and removing the errant sticky note.

The likelihood of this problem increases geometrically with the size and cost of the film, of course.

Just a friendly suggestion.

grrrrr.......
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    grrrrr.......
    I sympathize with your pain David ... been there, done that myself.
    Last edited by roteague; 10-02-2005 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David, thank you this is one I hadn't thought of yet. Of course with my luck I'll do it the next time I'm out shooting. I'm constantly amazed by all the opportunities to screw up with large format, it looks so simple.

Richard

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's one I haven't done myself. But I'll just add that blueberry jam and emulsion is not a good combination...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    So, if you use Post-it notes to keep track of exposures, remember to remove them before inserting the filmholder in the camera, or they will get caught on the light trap as the darkslide is removed from the holder, leaving the mysterious shadow of a Post-it note on the negative. Fortunately, this problem may be quickly diagnosed before another sheet is ruined by checking the filmholder after removing the film, and removing the errant sticky note.

The likelihood of this problem increases geometrically with the size and cost of the film, of course.

Just a friendly suggestion.

grrrrr.......
    David,

You did not actually do that, did you?

Please say no.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I even managed to do it with one of my fine S&S 11x14" filmholders. Fortunately, I did make a backup neg, which I don't often do, but I was planning to process the two different negs for two different density ranges in this case, so I have a second one. When I saw this strange rectangle on one edge of the neg I started trying to figure out what came loose in the camera, but it wasn't on any of the other negs I made, so I checked the filmholder, and sure enough, there was the sticky.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    That's one I haven't done myself. But I'll just add that blueberry jam and emulsion is not a good combination...
    Neither is honey on the dark slide.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've found that it helps to take the post-it-notes off the darkslides before going into the dark to unload the holders too. Otherwise, there is a slight chance of getting a post-it-note in the dev tank with the film....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The experiences of the veteran are not lost on the exuberant neophite...many thanks for sharing them with us...er, um,..me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    The experiences of the veteran are not lost on the exuberant neophite...many thanks for sharing them with us...er, um,..me...
    I'm not sure we should thank David for this. Now that Murphy knows that we know, doesn't that increase the chances of it happening to the rest of us?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin