Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,424   Online: 715

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The images I want to shoot are ones I want to share with others, but it is almost impossible to shoot when I'm also concerned about my bride & kids getting bored. I guess I don't have faith that whatever it is that grabs me and forces me to look at the landscape in real time will do the same to my companions, though I am pretty sure---sure enough to bet an 8x10 piece of film---that the same image in print form will garner endless ooohs and ahhhs. Funny. Anyway LF is a solo sport for me, though I always enjoy the brave tourist who timidly approaches and asks: "Pardon me, is that a Hasselblad?"

Cheers!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sigh. Sight unseen, I envy some of you your wives.

A true and accurate quote from mine: "Why can't you take ordinary pictures, like everyone else?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen
    A true and accurate quote from mine: "Why can't you take ordinary pictures, like everyone else?"
    Presume you have complimented her in her excellent choice of marrying an extra-ordinary man?

My camera and family don't usually mix. I go out in the dark and come back with the breakfast on our holiday. At other times, I go out alone, but never in a way that has an adverse impact on the rest of the family. There's always another day when you can go and shoot, it might even be a better one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Making art has alway been and will always be a selfish activity. As a painter I need to "go in my studio and make stuff." As a photographer I need to shut my ears in order to fully open my eyes. Even when folks speak of having companions with them for photo trips, you'll notice they speak of that person being absorbed in that other great selfish activity - reading. It's the in-between moments, when the shot has (we think) gone well, or the time has come for a coffee break that we appreciate coming up for air and seeing somebody else who has been nearby but also absorbed by an activity. It's great when you have somebody nearby to help you reconnect after diving into the artmaking process, but they're not really there with you.

I've never shot a model, but I can imagine that that might be more like dance or music making or drama, where it's the combination of your energies that produces the artwork. Landscape photography requires a little alone time. If somebody else wants to come along, you can only hope that they understand the process and can stand being alone in your company for awhile.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Iíve found that the only artists that take as long with an image as I do are other LF photographers or painters and sketchers. My wife says she enjoys being with me, seeing the views I love to photograph and enjoying the quiet. Sometimes she will read, relax and admire the scene as she sees it. Sometimes she will sketch or use her point and shoot to document the scene for a later watercolor. Sometimes she simply starts a watercolor. This summer we spent ten days in the mountains of North Carolina and 21 days in Maine doing just this as well as taking week long workshops in our respective mediums. As the pictures have evolved since are return we have enjoyed the experiences again and again. That is how we do it.

I would suggest that you are among the fortunate whose wife understands and loves to be with you. Photography has nothing to do with it. I would also suggest that you discuss your concerns with her. My guess is that she doesnít know the problem is going on for you and would simply bring a longer book so you two could have that quiet time together.

After driving the 1,000 miles to Maine we talked to one man who said he made it in 15.5 hours not including the time he slept in rest stops. We took three days, three planned museums, and 12 bookshops noticed in transit. The other man thought he would like to try that next time.

It only took me 65 years to learn this. Iím sure my parents told me because they did similar things. I didnít hear them, but it must have registered when I was ready.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually go out alone. With two dogs and a baby, it just doesn't make sense to haul everyone with me while I go shooting. This may of course explain why these days, I just don't photograph as much as I'd like to. Having said that, my husband is generally very willing to babysit should I go shooting.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find having anyone along to be distracting. Probably the most distracting is the presence of another photographer. As far as I am concerned a photo buddy is for conversation when there is no phitgraphy taking place.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My 13 year old step-daughter and I used to go shooting every Saturday morning in Australia. She used 35mm and I used my Wisner 4x5. Either one of us could, and did, yell 'stop' for a place to explore and photos to take. She has an excellent eye for images, although I'm probably technically more proficient. We never, to my memory, ever shot the same scene or saw the same things within a scene. It was great fun and a great bonding experience and maybe even a learning experience. Now that she is 10,000 miles away, those days are over, but I can certainly recommend a companion based on my experiences. Even if I had a sullen teenager who sat in the car and read or listened to an iPod, I still think there can be a sharing there that adds to, rather than detracts from the photographic experience.

Cheers, Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your wife comes with you and reads in the car while you shoot....hey, at least you got to go out and shoot. Count your blessings and quit worrying about it.
    Last edited by BradS; 10-03-2005 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm lucky if I can get my husband to go to a family function or a holiday, much less out with me to go take pictures. If it's a nice day out, he's usually out fiddling with one of his several old vehicles and their motors or whatever he does. I don't worry too much about it. I just go. Our cats don't mind either. They just sniff the camera and holder bags when I come home.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin