Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,422   Online: 1032

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A good friend and fellow photographer once told me "large format photogrpahy is not a spectator sport" - no truer words have ever been spoken.
    Climbabout

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's interesting. Just yesterday, I was out on the beaches and rocks near Pacific Grove CA with my significant other. I had spent the weekend in Monterey with my daughters, never pulling out the real camera, just shooting snaps of the family in action, and then not many. Since I had taken the goils back to school Sunday afternoon, it was just my SO and I. I asked if she minded if I took out the 3x4 Graphics SLR and she said no, she noticed I hadn't used it all weekend. All she wanted to see was the images in the viewfinder before I shot. While I set up the images, she wandered off and watched seals and otters with the binocs. When there is understanding on both sides as to the needs of the family as a whole, life goes well.

My daughters? They roll their eyes, make some suitable comment about Dad, the camera guy, then mug it up as much as they can.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rich, rich, rich

This Friday "we" go shooting. I asked her just a year ago but something happened. She is 45 years my junior, a vulneralble if not fragile person with an artistic orientation. Her parents gave her a digital camera /printer set up that assures success, but for now she is overwhelmed by the by the 79 page manual and small print with many symbols to appreciatate. We are headed for a small "company town" that has a "company" cemetery on a slope where giant trees shed giant leaves and a picket fence runs up and falls down the perimeter. She has had brain cancer and is doing well after treatment. Her conscious attention comes in waves as does the spots where there is no emulsion. I am embarrassed by how many times I want to try and fill in the blanks of her conversation, by having to learn to "stop" and wait until she comes back into time. I have always wanted a gal to do photography with and while I will take gear and may shoot some my best shot will be seeing that she gets over her discomfort and finds the trouble worthwhile. She does well with a Canon A1 so she has the background.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm as much pack mule as photographer when Herself goes shooting with me, so I normally leave the LF gear at home. Now that she's seen 4x5 slides, I've been informed that this will change. The shoulder pain will be a miniscule price to pay.

When we're out together doing other things, we discuss lighting and composition. Not that she's seriously into photography, but she looks at being a linguist as being someone who puts things in certain perspectives, who puts things in frames, and she carries this over into her everyday world.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go shooting with a knitter.

Totally oblivious. Completely content to be there, and if you are really, really good, you might get a pair of socks out of the shoot.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    when i go out with a LF camera and my wife, the kids come along too ... ( not too much fun for them ) so i leave the large format stuff home, unless i am alone, and just bring something small/miniature like a 35mm or 110 camera instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a LF companion to go out shooting with, and friends as well who shoot LF. My wife enjoys walking, so she will go out and walk around in the desert or mountains, while I fiddle around under the dark cloth. It is best to set a loose time table when out shooting, so that all know about constraints of time and are inagreement prior to the outing.

The companion is of a similar age and keeps her own counsel. We get along well because I tend to be more of a technician and she is more intuitive. When shooting in a shared area, we see different things and go off in our own direction. This has evolved over a couple of years which happened to coincide with my interest in LF. I think it helps to share a common interest, pure photography for its own sake, and allow that interest to expand in whatever direction it may take.

There is no distracion now, just an exchange of ideas about light and prints. It is enjoyable to see another person grow into their interest and see progress. This is perhaps as enjoyable as taking a good picture. tim

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I find having anyone along to be distracting. Probably the most distracting is the presence of another photographer. As far as I am concerned a photo buddy is for conversation when there is no phitgraphy taking place.
    Whew.... glad someone here expressed my view. Since joining APUG I've occasionally wondered if I would be considered anti-social if I turned down invitations to shoot together and avoided group shoots.

It should be clear I'm quite a social animal, I love to interact with fellow members of my sub-species (photographica maximus) however part of my pleasure in the endeavor is it's solitary nature.
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    I shoot LF with only a few poeple who are LF shooters or artists who are a good fit with the pace of LF. I am lucky my wife is an artist and understands how I work. But I am finding myself avoiding others (tourists, campers Etc...) all together. I cant work with non LF shooters bugging me things like "But you can't buy film for those things any more" or wanting to see the glass image when I have a holder in and just waiting for the light.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin